Honored Contributor

Re: Sewing Machine Suggestions

My Brother machine is an XL5232. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They have a lot of different sewing machines on HSN - you can go there to compare prices and features, then be more knowledgeable when you go to the store to buy.

Personally, I don't think that the machine makes the seamstress. A talented seamstress can sew beautifully on any machine. I also think every machine has it's quirks and as you own it and use it you get to know it's quirks and how to handle them. For this reason I prefer to use my old Singer - she and I seem to have a good relationship after 26 years together, and she doesn't do anything I haven't already dealt with many times.

Esteemed Contributor

@MILKI

Did you choose one yet?

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@MILKI

Did you choose one yet?

Yeah, curious minds want to know.

Contributor

iRe: Sewing Machine Suggestions

Hi....I am also an RN...80 yrs old retired at 70........have been a sewer all my like...still am...sewed on old Singers for years...then..

I had a Viking for 45 yrs...finally died...

Next a Janome....hated it...

Now I have a Brother ..love it...only about $400.

has everything I need....I bought it at a sewing machine place where they gave lessons on your paticular machine because I was used to my old Viking ....and boy...have things improved and are so simple now days.

If I was starting out I would look around for basic sewing lessons to get your confidence....then go from there....

You will love it...especially when you retire...I make all my tops with the best and most expensive fabric I can buy and afford and with that ...they look like I paid a fortune for them...tops are easy...simple sleeveless...I make them with lining or reversible...no stitches showing....also I have started making a few kimono jackets....now you talk about easy...!!!...you will get a lot of ideas on Pintrest....Good luck...