Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sewing Machine Suggestions

@MILKI  I've had my Singer Golden Touch and Sew since 1969 or 1970. It still operates perfectly. I've made everything imaginable with it and sewed all of my clothes and my daughter's clothes for years. I have my mothers black steel ancient Singer that I just can't part with. I've not had another sewing machine brand to compare with, but I just don't think you can go wrong with a Singer. Happy sewing !!

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Valued Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@docsgirl

Hey, beginner sewer here.  Machine still in box!

Anyway to access how *Anita* would make draperies?  I looked on her website, but seems like it's only clothes.  Didn't even see the robe you're making for your son.

Do I go to youtube or somewhere on her site--if possible to even find out how to make draperies.

Thanks!

Hi Lucky,

As of yet, I have not seen any tutorials from Anita on how to make draperiesl.  If you are a beginning sewer, I cannot recommend her tutorials more highly.  She will give you the very basics and more as you progress.  If you subscribe to her blog, you will see many of her projects.  Some are NOT tutorials but many are.  If you scroll down, you will find the tutorial for the robe.  This is just my suggestion but try her very first tutorial which I think is a skirt.  You don't have to buy anything; just watch and see how she teaches.  While I have some background, I glean many important tips from her.  In my humble opinion, she is the best there is because she takes things step by step  Her husband does all the photography and he does an excellent job so the viewer can easily see what she is doing.  I often stop the video when needed.  As you advance in your sewing, eventually you will be able to make draperies on your own with the skills acquired from her videos.  You have nothing to lose as her tutorials are free. She is planning to do an intermediate sewing tutorial some time in the future.  In that, we will learn even more advanced techniques.  Becasue of her, I am totally immersed in sewing.  Good luck and happy sewing,    docsgirl

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MILKI

If you can stand another suggestion...

I've researched sewing machines until I was blue in the face -- and came back to Singer. I had a basic model a long time ago and wanted an upgrade. Singer Stylist 7258 has the bells & whistles I want -- variety of stitch patterns, the buttonholer, etc.. (I did not want computerized.)

I guess it really depends on the specifics you want. But I can attest that Singer is very reliable.

Respected Contributor

I've bought a many of antique/old metal sewing machines from the days of old from thrift store for arund $20-$30. I clean them up, grease them, and find any parts I need for them online. Mostly, they are complete. I do plub them in and make sure they sew first. I've got 15 that I've collected from a handcrank, to an old Singer in a beautiful cabinet (one of the first electric models), a treadle Singer, and even pink ones and one that is turquoise, white and chrome! They all sew perfect and get used. If you want a modern one, stay ayway from Singer as they are no longer Singe but much cheaper materials by the new owners, Japanese I think. Vicking and Janome are all great options. A certified refurbished one from a dealer will get your ht emost bang for your buck. You could also find a good used industrial machine that will let you sew anything, but it is just one stitch, straight. I do have a protable Brother computerized machine that I take to classes and groups. It is light weight and sews many stitches. They are also better built than the modern Singers. I do have one computerized machine, the Brother PRW-350, that does all kinds of stitches, but is heavy, that I use for quilting, though I do small quilts, not full sized ones. You could get a quilting machine that would also double for your other sewing. They have a deep throat for quilting the quilts, so plenty of room in the throat area for working with projects.
Esteemed Contributor

I was a fan of Singer but it didn't fit my budget at the time I was ready to buy. I purchased a Brother model similar to the features you described. I wanted a maching to do simple mending, crafts and sewing. Nothing too complex.

I would check the craft stores (Michael's) because they have a lot of sales and coupons in the paper. I also would check any sewing machine repair shops because the one near me also sells refurbished machines. Sewing schools also may be another choice. 

Good luck.

Respected Contributor

I've got a collection of vintage Singers, including the one made in 1916 on which I sewed a Godzilla costume many moons ago. It doesn't even have reverse stitch, but it was a champ when it came to sewing through leather.

What I usually wind up grabbing when I need to do a bunch of mending is my Elnita I got about 20 years ago. It's a basic machine with built-in zig-zag and overcast. I sometimes look at the fancy features on the new machines, but given my needs, don't need them. If I was going to get back into making clothing, I'm sure I'd be looking into a new model.

I would strongly recommend NOT BUYING A MACHINE right now. Take sewing lessons from a sewing center, where you may get a discount on a new model or be able to buy a good trade-in at a great price. Taking lessons at a sewing center will give you the chance to try out a bunch of different machines and see which features you want on the one you end up getting. You also learn basic sewing skills in the bargain.

Honored Contributor

I have a Kenmore - bought it about 13-14 years ago to replace a 30 year old Kenmore.  At the time it was their top of the line model, figuring if the old one lasted as long as it did, this would carry me through the rest of my life.

The only reason I replaced the old one was because every time I used it , it needed to go in for service.  I would get one project out of it before it had to go back. 

If I had to replace it now, I don't know what I would buy because they no longer make Kenmore. 

Esteemed Contributor

I used to sew years ago for myself and daughter, but no more.  Does anyone watch "Sewing w/Nancy"?  She has a Baby Lock, I think.  It is all computerized and I really like to watch her operate it.  I bet that cost a lot.  I wish I could find one that threaded itself........lol.

Honored Contributor

I have a 1991 Singer 20 stitch that I love. Recently a friend was downsizing and gave me her new brother machine - with auto buttonhole maker. I have spent many hours learning how to use this machine but, to be honest , I prefer my old mechanical Singer 20 stitch  - except for the buttonholes. The electronic machines aren't very heavy duty.

Frequent Contributor

Hello! Which model of the Brother did you acquire? How well do you like it? MJ