Honored Contributor

SMALL SITTING ROOM GETS FALL TOUCHES

IMG_3500-2.jpg

Brooke Christen's small Cape Cod is a little over 1000 square feet.  Her tiny front sitting room can't take a lot of "extra" fall decor --  plus she says she has limited space to store items the rest of the year.

It's looks like she's "suggesting fall" through some deeper colors, patterns, lots of texture, different pillows and throws, and a few real pumpkins.

IMG_3491-2.jpg

IMG_3485-2.jpg

An amber light from flameless candles, and that tortoise colored vase provide a subtle autumnal glow.  Even that beautiful burnished oil painting furthers the mood:

IMG_3479-3.jpg

Here's that vase up close-- love!

45544680AA_029_b.jpg

She has a more "abundant",  English-influenced style, which might be too layered for some.  ( For my part, I'd have to have more "thinned out" shelves than she does, for instance).  But within her chosen look, I think she's created a nice mood.  Her luxuriant, healthy plants (all real) lend the suggestion of freshness amid the curated treasures. 

A cozy spot to have tea while the leaves swirl outside...

Honored Contributor

Re: SMALL SITTING ROOM GETS FALL TOUCHES

very cute, and cozy! I like it.

Esteemed Contributor

For such a small living or sitting room, it's nicely done.  I'd probably have to remove and/or replace a few things as it's coming off a tad bit claustrophoboc to me (smaller sofa pillows and remove a few items such as the 2 large plants from the built ins).

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

No.  Just no.

Starting with that lamp.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

I would suffocate in that room.  The fall touches to me look as if they brought all the outdoor plants in so they wouldn't freeze.  The room has great bones, but TOO MUCH stuff!  LOL  I would get rid of the pillows, throws, floor lamp, and half the decor in the book shelving.  I also don't care for that coffee table.  

Other that that, I love it!  LOL  Woman Wink

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

Very nice @Oznell - looks like she is a fan of Luminara too. Some ppl just have that knack for decorating. It is a talent for sure. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

Cute room..I would replace the floor lamp..it looks out of place jutting out like that. You would walk right in to it.

Honored Contributor

The only thing I dislike in the picture is the coffee table; just not a style I care for.  For me, (not really a house plant person) there are too many plants. And my final criticism; I would have froofed up the chairs so they would be less shlumpy before photographing.  The armchair next to the fireplace looks like it is going to collapse into itself.  

I do think the room achieves its goal of offering up a comforting and comfortable space.

Honored Contributor

It's darling, BUT....Woman Very Happy

If storage wasn't at such a minimum, I'd forgo the built-ins and window seat.  (Just a place for displaying the vases, etc.) 

Hang the artwork on the wall, put the plants on the floor---they're too big for the shelves.

As I see it, really only 4 people can gather there now--unless you bring in the dining table chairs...and I don't want to get stuck sitting on one. 

I'd rather be able to add more comfortable seating for at least 2 more people--3 would be great.

The couch is nice, but the pillows are like eject buttons.  (Get rid of them!)

Honored Contributor

I'd end up tripping & falling into the fireplace.

I'm no decorator but I'd ditch the couch.    Can barely fit 3 anyway so replace it with 2 chairs instead.   plus the couch & matching chair are chunky clunky.   Not what I would choose for a small room.   But I guess it's part of the total vibe.  Anything else would look too modern for the look.   Explains why my house looks like a bad flea market