Regular Contributor

Round table in rectangular room?

I need some advice.  I have a separate dining room that is rectangular and narrow.  While a rectangular table would be ideal, I found a round table that I fell in love with.  Do you think that would look awkward?  I just can't picture it.  I would really love your advice.  Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Re: Round table in rectangular room?

Absolutely!  Round tables allow more space to walk around, as a bonus.  You can balance it with a server or china cabinet or whatever.

You may want to investigate round tables with a center insert "leaf" that will give you an oval for the times you need extra seats.

Identify the dining table shape that's right for you

Why You May Need a Round Dining Table - The Decorologist

Make Any Round Table High End with this Simple Fluted Base DIY | Round  dining room, Dining room small, Round dining room table

Honored Contributor

What great images, @ECBG ,  that demonstrate how stylish and "at home" a round table can look in different spaces!

Respected Contributor

How narrow is the room? Round tables and accompanying chairs are not forgiving on the space they require. Measure the room and the table with chairs to be sure there will be space to walk around them.

Honored Contributor

The pictures prove how nice round tables can look in any room!  I have a round table and chairs in my kitchen area and love how it looks. In my opinion, you can put a round table in your dining room as long as you are happy with the way it looks!

Honored Contributor

@demanda It depends on how narrow the room is and how large a circumference the round table has, but in theory. there's no reason a round table can't work.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

Thank you.  You may remember I taught Interior Design and wrote curriculum for our state all of my career.

Regular Contributor

Thank you so much!  the pictures are perfect!  My dining room is very narrow.  I think the suggestion of measuring is a good one.  Maybe I could somehow map it out on the floor.  I never thought of that.  I'm afraid I won't have any walk around space.  I knew I came to the right place for advice.  Thank you all!!

Honored Contributor

I have an oval table in a square space, on a rectangular area rug with horizontal zebra stripes .... never thought about it.  

Looks okay to me!

Honored Contributor

@demanda,

My daughter has a rectangular half of the kitchen and did have a rectangular table there. It kind of filled up the space, leaving not much room for walking around.

They moved that table into another room and got a round table for the kitchen area. It looks so nice and so much more welcoming. What I love about it is everyone can see each other instead of sitting side by side.

It looks like it belongs.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"