Honored Contributor

Room with Color?

[ Edited ]

Hello, Everyone! Hope you are all doing well. 🌈

I still come to read and post comments on the threads others post in the home forum, but I haven't started a thread here in quite a while. Here's a room that I like, but I wish had more color (which tends to be my most frequent comment about rooms lately 😉). 

This space was described as a "room with color". Well, I guess it has different colors, but it's not what I would describe as colorful. 

What do you think of this space? 

I like the overall space, layout, architectural details & windows. Most of the furniture & accessories are also my style, although I'm not crazy about the nailhead detail on the chairs. Love the green touches. I like the overall warmth of the space, but I'd prefer more color.  

A more colorful rug would help a lot for me. I might swap out all those pillows on the sofa for a few that would offer more contrast. I'd replace the painting over the fireplace with a more colorful landscape. A colorful floral arrangement on the coffee table and adding a colorful accessory on the mantelpiece would be more my style. 

E949AAD2-A898-45A3-A745-F243E69F13CB.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

@wilma  I love the layout of the rooms a lot. Especially love the windows and natural light from them. Just needs some pops of color that can easily be accomplished with a brighter rug. Or at the very least new pillows.

Thanks for posting.

Honored Contributor

I think the room is beautiful as is.

With the large windows/doors everything is lit up enough during the day.

I like that they have a lot of greenery (although faux greenery is a no-no for me) and then the beautiful outdoors being so visible.

Although my living room has pink coral, lime green and sky blue colored chairs along with citrus colored lumbar pillows on the couch, I don't get that every room, every time, has to have a *pop of color*.  

I've heard people repeat that manta and yet their *pop* of color is something I would consider bland or boring.

My bedroom doesn't have or need a pop of color, neither does my kitchen, or bathrooms.  To me they are beautiful enough, but I guess to others they would seem bland or boring.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Room with Color?

[ Edited ]

@wilma The room is basically lovely, but like you, it does need some color. I'd change out some of those tall plants for colorful original artworks and sculptures which would give the space some much needed texture, as well. Recover (or replace) both chairs in terra cotta herringbone for color and texture. You are spot-on about the pillows! Replace the gaudy dining room fixture with something simple, yet elegant.

I'd like to see a simple original portrait of a child kneeling with his/her favorite bicycle over the fireplace (maybe done in charcoal or pencil) hung in a sterling frame and matted in terra cotta over black to tie in with the chairs.  

The sisal rug adds texture to the room, which is helpful yet accents the lovely floors. The windows and fireplace are gorgeous! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

It's a pretty room, but as someone with a red sofa, a side chair with a muted floral print of reds, greens, browns, golds, brown leather recliners and a tan rug with red, black and touches of green, I can't say its a "Room with Color"!

Honored Contributor

This is a very well done room, but I don't see how the description could say "color".  This room is definitely neutrals.

Esteemed Contributor

To me it's very blah!  Also those chairs look very uncomfortable.

Guess it's different strokes for different folks.Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

A few simple similarities to my home, but anyone who comes here can see that red is my favorite color.  This is too nice of a room not to have a touch of red or navy.

Respected Contributor

No color that I can see unless they mean the light coming thru the window and doors.  This is a very boring room to me.  I can't see anything about it that I like.  I would have to remove everything and start over.

Honored Contributor

The room itself is lovely.  However, it does need color to perk it up and I would start with a new rug and couch and add decor on the mantle, a brighter piece of artwork. With some color added this room would be appealing.