Respected Contributor

Re: Question For Those Who Crochet

@Kachina624 - Thanks for the information on the hooks, that's good to know.

Respected Contributor

@Scooby Doo - That's sounds like something I can use. Thanks.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I taught myself to crochet by looking at a book.   It's very simple to do if you're right-handed.   However,  following the instruction may call for some help from a pro.   One important piece of advice: find some Susan Bates crochet hooks.   They are so much superior to the common Boyle hooks that I can't even crochet with the Boyles.  They're usually carried by yarn stores or maybe online.  Amazon has a set of 6 common sizes for $10.+ change.

When my great niece wanted to learn she went to a senior community and it took her about 30 seconds to find 3 ladies eager to share their skills. 

@Kachina624 - I took your advice and just ordered the Susan Bates hooks on Amazon.  But, I have noticed that sizing for hooks seems not consistent.  Some places use letters (F,G,H, etc.) while others use millimeters.  Will the yarn that you buy tell you what size hook to use?  Thanks.

Contributor

Definately try youtube...you can search beginner crochet and tons of videos will come up. I would urge you to try crochet--I've been hooking since I was 8 or 9. Since i'm left-handed, it took a while, but someone was finally able to show me how!

Honored Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I taught myself to crochet by looking at a book.   It's very simple to do if you're right-handed.   However,  following the instruction may call for some help from a pro.   One important piece of advice: find some Susan Bates crochet hooks.   They are so much superior to the common Boyle hooks that I can't even crochet with the Boyles.  They're usually carried by yarn stores or maybe online.  Amazon has a set of 6 common sizes for $10.+ change.

When my great niece wanted to learn she went to a senior community and it took her about 30 seconds to find 3 ladies eager to share their skills. 

@Kachina624 - I took your advice and just ordered the Susan Bates hooks on Amazon.  But, I have noticed that sizing for hooks seems not consistent.  Some places use letters (F,G,H, etc.) while others use millimeters.  Will the yarn that you buy tell you what size hook to use?  Thanks.

@Winkk   The direction on the item you're making will tell you what size to use.  For practice I'd use the largest.  I've only seen hook with letter sizes.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I think it's easy to pick up the simple, beginner stitches.  My grandmother taught me and I don't think it took very long for me to catch on.

I find it very relaxing.  I haven't made anything in years, but I've been known to grab a ball of yarn and just do a simple square for fun.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I agree with the other posters, Susan Bates hooks are superior to Boyle.  Here is a conversion chart of hook sizes.  Many of my hooks show both the metric and American size on them.  As @Kachina624 said, the pattern will tell you what size hook to use.