Respected Contributor

Question For Those Who Crochet

I decided I need a new hobby and thought I would learn to crochet.  But, I don't have a clue as to how to get started.  Any suggestions on the best method to learn?  Books, videos, person-to-person, YouTube, etc?

Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: Question For Those Who Crochet

[ Edited ]

http://www.creamofthecropcrochet.com/2015/09/take-it-easy-tuesday-how-to-find-free-crochet-pattern/

This is a good beginners site. There is also a Crochet for Dummies that is a wealth of information. Even though I have knitted for years I have the Knitting for Dummies. Ollie's may have one at about $6.95. You Tube is good and just doing a Google search is good. Always start with a chain stitch and master that first. Do a really long strand and try different hooks to get the feel of the tightness. Always post here and we all will try and answer for you. The Crochet hooks I love is Susan Bates but there are many nice ones out there. Look for a Croche Hook that doesn't have a thick but a thinner part that you pull the yarn through with.  To me that will work easier.

Nice to see people learning skills like Crocheting or Knitting. I do a lot of the afghan stitch which is also called the Tunisian Stitch. You use a long Crochet hook and never turn your work. You Crochet across and then bind off coming back. It make what you are making with a design looking like  a little square and then you can add a graph design on it. Good luck. 🙋🏻

Esteemed Contributor

@Winkk I bought books, but that was all that was available in the 70's. It's pretty easy to pick up. I don't know if there are things on utube, but check and also look at "beginner" books at the craft/hobby store. You will probably start with a chain stitch to get used to holding the yarn and using the needle. It's fun. Go for it.

presidents day.gif

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

@pattypeep

@MKR14

Thanks so much for the information.  At least this will give me a place to start.

Respected Contributor

Joann's has classes this time of year.  They teach different styles of crochet, and the price is very reasonable.

Honored Contributor

Check out the site Ravelry  (just Google it)

Mostly knitters but there are many who crochet.

It's filled with patterns, many free

and there are "groups" who answer questions.

The site is massive, take your time & enjoy

@Winkk

Respected Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

Joann's has classes this time of year.  They teach different styles of crochet, and the price is very reasonable.

Also, I saw a book at Joann's titled I Can't Believe I'm Crocheting.  It has step by step instructions for each stitch.

Honored Contributor

OP

many libraries have knitting groups in which members will be willing to share skills.

knitting shops may give classes both independant shops and the chains like Michaels and AC Moore

and then youtube 

Ravelry as well

Trusted Contributor

Knitting Paradise website, check AARP.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I taught myself to crochet by looking at a book.   It's very simple to do if you're right-handed.   However,  following the instruction may call for some help from a pro.   One important piece of advice: find some Susan Bates crochet hooks.   They are so much superior to the common Boyle hooks that I can't even crochet with the Boyles.  They're usually carried by yarn stores or maybe online.  Amazon has a set of 6 common sizes for $10.+ change.

When my great niece wanted to learn she went to a senior community and it took her about 30 seconds to find 3 ladies eager to share their skills. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment