Respected Contributor

My brother purchased insurance for his two rescued greyhounds. I do not remember the name but I do know that it came in very handy as both dogs had multiple issues. They had been racing dogs and were abused. I hope you can find a policy to work for you. Pets are family members too.

Valued Contributor

Colliemom: To answer your question, no insurance company will cover a pre-existing condition. I did a ton of research when curlywhitedog was a little less than a year and decided to go with Trupanion for a number of reasons. One is that they cover genetically pre-disposed conditions for specific breeds, with Bichons it's cataracts, luxating patellas and bladder stones...all covered. Some insurance companies exclude pre-disposed conditions. The other reason I went with Trupanion is that there are no limits to the amount of coverage per year or per lifetime...they pay what's covered and billed for, no matter the cost and I liked that very much.

The first year I paid $34/month and 18 months later Lily needed emergency surgery with an extended hospital stay for a whopping $5,000 for that one incident. I think the total I had paid into the policy at that point was about about $600 and of the $5,000 I was billed, Trupanion paid $4500 (that's the max coverage and I selected no deductible) and I paid $500. For sure I got my money's worth even for just that one time.

Last week we were back at the vet for a small growth on Lily's leg which required an antibiotic and a steroid spray and when we go back on Monday they will draw some cells and send them to pathology. Everything will be covered at 90% except for the cost of the office visit, that's totally the responsibility of the owner. One other thing, if your pet requires prescription food Trupanion will pay for a certain percentage of that food for a month, beyond that they adjust your policy payments by 5% and because Lily is on a special diet for those bladder stones, that discount comes in handy.

I encourage you to look into Trupanion, I couldn't be happier with them.

Maria

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC bumped old thread

Honored Contributor

This thread is 6 years old.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@LipstickDiva   I don't know how that happened.  It was on my main page of recent posts.  I try to never bump up an old thread.

Day after day the whole day through, wherever my road inclined, four feet said 'I'm coming with you!' and trotted along behind. Kipling

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@LipstickDiva   I don't know how that happened.  It was on my main page of recent posts.  I try to never bump up an old thread.

@NickNack, you didn't. Someone else did with only 1 post and it has since been deleted.  LOL 

QVC Customer Care