Esteemed Contributor

My brother purchased insurance for his two rescued greyhounds. I do not remember the name but I do know that it came in very handy as both dogs had multiple issues. They had been racing dogs and were abused. I hope you can find a policy to work for you. Pets are family members too.

Valued Contributor

Colliemom: To answer your question, no insurance company will cover a pre-existing condition. I did a ton of research when curlywhitedog was a little less than a year and decided to go with Trupanion for a number of reasons. One is that they cover genetically pre-disposed conditions for specific breeds, with Bichons it's cataracts, luxating patellas and bladder stones...all covered. Some insurance companies exclude pre-disposed conditions. The other reason I went with Trupanion is that there are no limits to the amount of coverage per year or per lifetime...they pay what's covered and billed for, no matter the cost and I liked that very much.

The first year I paid $34/month and 18 months later Lily needed emergency surgery with an extended hospital stay for a whopping $5,000 for that one incident. I think the total I had paid into the policy at that point was about about $600 and of the $5,000 I was billed, Trupanion paid $4500 (that's the max coverage and I selected no deductible) and I paid $500. For sure I got my money's worth even for just that one time.

Last week we were back at the vet for a small growth on Lily's leg which required an antibiotic and a steroid spray and when we go back on Monday they will draw some cells and send them to pathology. Everything will be covered at 90% except for the cost of the office visit, that's totally the responsibility of the owner. One other thing, if your pet requires prescription food Trupanion will pay for a certain percentage of that food for a month, beyond that they adjust your policy payments by 5% and because Lily is on a special diet for those bladder stones, that discount comes in handy.

I encourage you to look into Trupanion, I couldn't be happier with them.

Maria

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC bumped old thread

Honored Contributor

This thread is 6 years old.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva   I don't know how that happened.  It was on my main page of recent posts.  I try to never bump up an old thread.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Lipstickdiva   I don't know how that happened.  It was on my main page of recent posts.  I try to never bump up an old thread.

@NickNack, you didn't. Someone else did with only 1 post and it has since been deleted.  LOL 

QVC Customer Care