Honored Contributor

@chessielady ...............Not true my pellet stove did not need power, only the fan, you could still heat with it just the fan would not work.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

Your stove looks very nice, if you want extra heat, get a floor fan and it will move that heat around,

We had a Victorian home and kept a fan in the room next to the foyer pointed towards the stairway, it did make it up the stairs and down the hallway.

We then had the Duraflame stoves from QVC to take care of the bedrooms...

We were always comfortable....

As one poster pointed out however, if your power goes out, so are you......

We also had a whole house Generator..lol

Goog luck with it, *oh, you can always get a small generator to hook up to it just in case too,,,,,

Happy Holidays...

Respected Contributor

When I lived in WA, in the late 80's or so, i had a pellet stove insert put in my fireplace after we discovered the chimney liner had been damaged by a chimney fire from a previous owner. It was cheaper to have the pellet stove with a metal stove pipe run thru the chimney than to get the liner replaced.  It worked pretty well, but hauling & storing the bags of pellets got old real quick & I hated shutting it down & cleaning it out.  Also, if the power was out, there was no way to run the auger that dropped the pellets from the hopper into the burn chamber, never mind no fan, so no heat. 

I had a lot going on with life & work & hauling pellets & cleaning out the stove was just more added work for me, so after about 10 or so years, I replaced it was a gas insert.  At least if the power was out, I could turn on the gas insert (it had a standing pilot light) & get some radiant heat into my family room, even w/o the fan.

I now live in AZ & my house has a gas fireplace & I haven't turned it on in about 4-5 years.  It's pretty useless anyway, as it has no fan on it.