Respected Contributor

sofa cushions attached or not?

I was considering features of a new sofa. All lazy boy sofa back cushions are attached vs loose. I've always had loose so that they can be rotated are refluffed. Any experieces or thoughts about attached vs loose.

Honored Contributor

Re: sofa cushions attached or not?

@granddi  I have had mine for awhile. Have had no problems with the back attached cushions. The loose ones you sit on have become a little lumpy but the whole thing still looks like new.

Esteemed Contributor

Have always prefered  un attached  so that I could have slip covers made and   new  cushion covers .

Valued Contributor

I have 2 La-Z-Boy sofas and an office chair. I grew up with them in my parents home. The sofas that recline have mainly had cushions that have been attached. The two that I have are over 20 yrs old and are still as good as new. 

Super Contributor

My sofa cushions -- back and seat -- are unattached -- easy to clean, rotate and "fluff."  I have a large leather armchair with the seat cushion attached -- I don't like it attached.  There is no way to really clean and no way to "fluff."  I didn't realize the seat cushion was attached when I purchased it, but I definitely wouldn't purchase another chair with an attached seat cushion.

Honored Contributor

I prefer loose cushions, but that comes after comfort and style.

Esteemed Contributor

We have had both.  The couch we had with the back cushions attached we had for years.  Over time, it started to rip at the top, where the cushion attached to the back.  I tried to fix it as best I could, but there was no easy fix and it slowly continued to rip.

The couch we have now has all the cushions that are not attached and moveable.  I do kind of like it that way.  BUT, I am forever pulling the back cushion up and pushing the seat cushion back into place.

So there are pros and cons to both.  I think it is important that you just pick the furniture that is most comfortable for you.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

When I had a sofa they were attached.

I havent had a couch or sofa for several years and would not have another.  I have all comfy chairs.  I see no need for a couch for us.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

Attached! I will not consider loose pillows/attachments for the back side in a sofa. If they're unattached, that's a 100% dealbreaker for me. I love Lazy Boy Sofas! I think they're the best on the market! 

Honored Contributor

I prefer attached backs but have difficulty finding them in our price range.  Have had loose backs for a number of years and gotten used to it.

Definitely unattached seats.