Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear  I'm right there with you.  I have no decorating style.

My late husband was amazing at decorating and designing houses.  Well, he'd do it for a living, so having talent helped.

He designed the house I'm living in (we built it).  All of the furniture in it, he picked out.

I find it boring and don't enjoy it.  I do know what I don't like and that's anything modern.  I don't like antique or modern.  What else is left?  Ha!

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@FlowerBear  I'm right there with you.  I have no decorating style.

My late husband was amazing at decorating and designing houses.  Well, he'd do it for a living, so having talent helped.

He designed the house I'm living in (we built it).  All of the furniture in it, he picked out.

I find it boring and don't enjoy it.  I do know what I don't like and that's anything modern.  I don't like antique or modern.  What else is left?  Ha!

@Annabellethecat66

Well, there is Traditional, Transitional, and good  ole’ Eclectic. 😀

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Have yet to put anything on our bedroom walls since we painted last year. I rather enjoy it that way but I'll probably start looking for something this spring.

Honored Contributor

I forgot to add I know I don't like steamboat something.  It's not that I don't like it, I just don't want it in my house.

I wouldn't know where to start decorating in that style.

Trusted Contributor
Flowerbear, my advice would be to look through magazines and Pinterest for a decorated room that you like, and just copy it. Some people just don't have a knack for decorating, and that's OK. I have a friend who bought a comforter set from Kohl's and copied the picture of the decorated room that came with the set-paint color and all! Looks great!
Respected Contributor

Re: No Decorating Style

[ Edited ]

I like to decorate with "important" pieces. I've noticed how some people put a picture above their couch, for example, that's WAY too small for the area. Or they use a lamp or vase of flowers the same way. 

For me, I'd rather have one item that fills an area, than several small doo-dads that may look cluttered. I have a round cocktail table in the family room that has a large pottery vase filled with Fall leaves- that's it. The display fills the area, & looks "important".

On an end table, I'll put a large lamp with a couple of small items (whatever your pleasure....like a 5 x 7 picture frame, pretty colored glass, etc.)

Choose items that please YOU. Smiley Happy. If you don't get it right the first time, then rearrange & try again. Keep doing it until it feels good TO YOU.

Have fun, play & experiment. You may discover that you're better at it than you think!

Honored Contributor

I thought this would be a post by @lolakimono with photos of a home with no style.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Just remember, there is no "wrong" way.  You do what you like -- that is always right.  If you see an item, and it speaks to you, that is always right.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear

I would suggest looking at magazines, online sites, Pinterest and just Google images of wall art. Take note of things you really like, and things you really don't. 

I think the fact that you have done nothing so far is a good thing. I find it sometimes takes a while for me to really come to grips with something I'm wanting to do or change. Like you, I know I want something, but I'm just not sure what it is. 

Looking at pictures of different kinds of decor and the ways people group them should spark something in you pretty quickly. 

And I think many of us get locked into the same kinds of things on our walls, and we forget to consider other things. 

Walls can hold pictures, paintings or prints, shelves, clocks, textiles, lighting (like sconces), baskets, mirrors,  and so much more. 

And really look at your furniture and accessories. Try to decide if you are looking to have a sameness in decor style throughout your entire home, or are you like me, and decorate different rooms in different styles, which really opens up to having different kinds of things in different areas of your home.

Just know there is no rush. Sometimes we just have to let things come to us in their own sweet time. I would highly suggest not getting impatient and just buy too much too fast, just to get it done.

Honored Contributor

If you like it, then it's not the wrong thing...