Respected Contributor

No Decorating Style

[ Edited ]

Since moving I have nothing on my walls yet. I have never really had style in decorating or in clothing!!  Smiley Sad

How can I pick things out for the walls when I dont know what would be the right thing?  I seem to not do it since Im afraid I will choose the wrong things!

Before I got a divorce we just had random things around and on the walls. Mostly things that we got second hand.

I want my new place to look nice  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

Since moving I have nothing on my walls yet. I have never really had style in decorating or in clothing!!  Smiley Sad

How can I pick things out for the walls when I dont know what would be the right thing?  I seem to not do it since Im afraid I will choose the wrong things!

Why so hard on yourself?  Choose things that make you happy when looking at them!

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear, I bet you have more of a style than you even realize--  a decorating "style" often is just a collection of personal preferences, that adds up to a cohesive "look" that feels good to you.

When it comes to wall art, ask yourself, what colors do I like?   Do I like abstracts, or realistic art?  Photographs?  What subject matter--  animals, flowers, landscapes, people?

One way to start, is to look through decorating mags., and start pulling out the pictures of rooms that really appeal to you.  You can put them in a folder, and you may start to see a pattern in your selections, that will give you an idea of how you want to decorate.

You can do the same thing on line-- google "design styles" or "decorating styles" and notice what ones you like.  Then look to see what elements they have that you could emulate.

Take your time, and only put up things you love! 

Honored Contributor

Think about what you like.

I prefer either geometric designs, or outdoor nature scenes.

I also like mirrors, all sizes.

And think of it as fluid.

Don't wait until you can have the perfect arrangement.

Start small, build and know you can always change it.

Here's a nice start, a central picture, flanked by wall pockets.

You don't like the picture? find what you  like

You don't like those wall pockets?   Find wood or glass, fill with greenery or flowers instead of cotton.    I get a lot of ideas from Hobby Lobby

good to be home.jpg

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear  Maybe your style is being a minimalist.  When you start looking on line or through magazines, you could start noticing what pleases you.  What is it that makes you happy, calm, and joyful.  Do you like certain colors or elements in the room.  Lolakimono often gives us posts of homes and rooms, what do you find attractive/unappealing about those posts.    Wayfair is a good website that offers many different styles and you could browse to see what resonates with you.   Maybe this has not been your focus in life, and that is ok.  Think of it as a new adventure!  @Oznell gave you some great ideas and I'm sure as you begin to awaken to this new journey you will find things that you love and without effort you will find that you have a certain sense of your style.`

Esteemed Contributor

I moved 3 years ago and feel the same as you. I have yet to put anything on my walls. I just don’t know where to begin. And you know I have gone this long without, that maybe that’s just the way it will stay. Maybe this IS my style. ❤️

Honored Contributor

Don't be afraid to think outside the box.  Maybe you simply don't like the regular kind of things people hang on their walls.

I agree that looking through magazines is helpful when you're not sure what you want.  Take an idea and run with it to make it personal.

Honored Contributor

There is no wrong way to do it.  You only have to please yourself.  Start with one thing, one picture and look for something that pleases you and that you think coordinates with the room.  Don't worry about what other people think.  Hang it, enjoy it and get accustomed to it and you will naturally think "I need something for the other wall" and then look for something.  There's no rush.  Small steps....eventually, you'll have a decor that is all yours.

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear , you have a great adventure ahead of you!

I would start walking through flea Mkts, looking through magazines, eBay, everywhere you might see anything that might be hung on a wall, have your camera with you always. Take a photo of anything that speaks to you, not sorta, maybe, meh, but really appealing to you.  Cut out pictures from magazines, look for magazine covers, plates, mirrors, baskets, scarfs (I have two antique scarves framed and hung), book covers, pieces of wood, rugs, quilts, sconces, old gates, wrought iron scraps, kites, old lace work, photos, etc.  Think way out of the box!  But, only take photos of those things you like and think you might want to live with.

Give yourself plenty of time until you have a goodly collection.  Then spread them out, and toss any mistakes, what’s left is a good representation of your style.

Then start looking for similar items that you can find and afford.  If something doesn’t work in one, room remember it may be perfect in another.

Have Fun!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

In my area you can hire a decorator to come to your home - I think she charges around $ 50.00/hour.  Look for someone in your area, maybe he/she can give a starting point and then you can take it from there.