Super Contributor

@FlowerBear:

Surround yourself with things you love and make you feel happy when you walk in the door. Don't worry about being matchy matchy. Don't sell yourself short thinking you have no style or decorating ability. Things from thrift stores and flea markets can be made into stunning pieces with a can of paint and some imagination. Have fun with it. And remember, it is your home and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about it.

Honored Contributor

i think I will hire a decorator when my 2nd story gets renovated. had a tree fall on it  that destroyed the roof and damaged the bedrooms and bathrooms and did some minor damage downstairs too. Hubs built this house in 1986 so it is in need of updating. I did all that with very little $$. and it shows after all these years. will get advice on current colors,carpet,fixtures, tile, lighting and paint as we will sell this place and move on. If it cost me a couple hindred bucks, that will be worth it.

Respected Contributor

Re: No Decorating Style

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much everyone!! I really do appreciate all the responses. So many super awesome suggestions and advice. You are all the best and you always come through with fantastic advice!!  Smiley Happy Smiley Happy  Im truly going to use some of the suggestions and cant wait  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   That would be nice but I cannot afford that. But it is a good thought!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Go to furniture stores, accessory stores, check out magazines and go with what you find pleasing

There's also quizzes you can take

https://www.hgtv.com/quizzes/find-your-design-style-toast-your-good-taste

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/houzz-quiz-whats-your-decorating-style-stsetivw-vs~25171951

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

Go to furniture, accessory stores, check out magazines and go with what you find pleasing

There's also quizzes you can take

https://www.hgtv.com/quizzes/find-your-design-style-toast-your-good-taste

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/houzz-quiz-whats-your-decorating-style-stsetivw-vs~25171951

@Spurt@FlowerBear. I too, was going to suggest Houzz.com-an excellent site with lots of information.....Also go into stores like Pottery Barn, Pier One, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Home Goods,etc....and just see what you like or what pops out at you and then go from there...You might be surprised to see what you like, and what you don't like.....My husband and I love to decorate, and he has a great eye for things, and I do too but I am not as creative as he is, but I find it fun to put things together.....Good Luck to you and have a great time!!!!   

Honored Contributor

@Spurt  Thanks for the quizzes....not surprising I came out "traditional" on both quizzes although I'd like to think I'm a bit zen but love a few warm rich well chosen wood carved pieces.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66  Yep, I'm not contemporary and I'm not antique (do enjoy a piece or two of something unique....i.e., Persian rug to die for) so I understand your dilemma.  I took the quizzes @Spurt gave us and came out "traditional"...not surprised.  Just from your posts over the years, I wouldn't be surprised if you fall in that category also.

Respected Contributor

@FlowerBear, I was a Buyer in home decorative accessories for 19 years. For myself when I moved, I would choose one basic color that I would want in at least a couple of rooms and I'd choose a strong accent color. So if I had a sage green sofa, I might have an accent chair in a pattern with sage green and coral. I'd use coral toss pillows on the sofa and maybe add a neutral ivory or taupe throw. Then I'd think about the walls. A mirror is a nice choice because it can blend with most any style. After that I'd enjoy the hunt for wall art, and often less is more. A medium-sized picture (such as stretched canvas) can make an attractive statement. Kohl's and Home Goods sell them at a reasonable price around $25 on sale. You can also find pairs of pictures sold together. Personally, I like wall art to enhance the basic colors in the room. If other items are wanted or needed, they can be added later whether they have meaning or are just appealing. The basic color - like sage green for example - could continue into the master bedroom with the same neutral accents but perhaps a diffferent accent color (watermelon? lilac? pale yellow?) And, the sage and accent color of the master bedroom can be carried into the master bath just by choosing towels in those colors. Decorating is fun! It's self-expression, and rooms evolve as we find or change accent pieces. Enjoy the journey.