Honored Contributor

Re: Need input on countertop type please

[ Edited ]

@Janey2 wrote:

I have granite countertops that are 25 years old and look like the day I put them in. If I were to redo I would do granite again. You are allowed to have the best you can afford no matter your age. Also think about resale value.

I agree!  My mother used to make comments like that...."at my age why spend the money?"  I would to say to her why not?  Yet she could afford nice things.

I have a granite countertop for the kitchen and love it!  It's 13 years old and looks great.   It's so easy to maintain and keep clean.

Whe we did the bathroom over the summer I went with quartz for something different.  It's also very beautiful and easy to keep clean.

Respected Contributor

I've had granite in our last three homes. I've never had any problems with chips or cracks. I think a lot depends on the quality of the granite and the installation. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't tell from the original post if granite or stone has been eliminated from the decision or not.  

I am someone who whenever possible goes for the "natural" option.  Therefore, my choice is granite, or marble, or limestone, or quartzite (not quartz) or any other material that is neither fabricated (composite), nor plastic glued onto particle board.

I understand everyone feels differently about these kinds of choices, and that everyone has a budget they either must, or choose to stick to.

I think there are attractive and perfectly acceptable options in any category.  

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since you're not trying to impress like some people do, I'd go with Formica or even real butcherblock. I have granite in both my bathrooms and to me it's not that great.

I wouldn't care about resale value if it's the last place you live. I don't care since I have no one to pass my home onto when I die.

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

Now, good folks, I have moved on to trying to figure out the 'type' of countertop to purchase for the house I'll be downsizing to soon.  I have considered quartz and granite - but for no longer that I'll be 'around'/age related, I can't justify purchasing the most expensive/highest quality countertops.  If you would be so kind, what type of counter tops have you been pleased with? TIA

@sarahpanda Justify is different than afford.  So think about that.  If you can afford it and love or even like it a lot, it's where you live and you don't have to "justify" things!  You should have what you like or love!

We have had granite in the last two houses, and it is NOT hard to keep.  In that 30 years we haven't sealed any of them more than once, twice or never.  We have been very happy with both--one dark and one light.

Just get something that makes you smile and enjoy whatever material you get. There is a lot to choose from in all price ranges.  

Respected Contributor

We have moved a lot - 30 year military family.  We have had Formica, tile with grout, granite and quartz.  The quartz is my favorite followed by granite, but that is partly because those are the only two surfaces I personally have picked out.  The others were already there.  I agree, though, there is some nice looking Formica.  My daughter has wooden counter tops and they are beautiful too.  Good luck on whatever you decide on!

Esteemed Contributor

In my previous home I put in Corian counters when we remodeled - loved them. In the house I'm in now I have granite - when I can afford it, I will change them.

My neighbor just did her kitchen with quartz and really likes it.

Choose what you like and can live with through the years.

Honored Contributor

A lot of people here have been remodeling kitchens and my couple of friends have used Corian counters in both kitchen & bathrooms.

I wish I had known about Corian I would have done it when I remodeled.  We are doing our master bath and countertops will be corian.

I have granite and haven't had any issues (although I wish I picked a lighter color too expensive to change now).

@sarahpanda 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Go to a kitchen showroom or a stone place, and see what makes you happy and in your budget. 

We did a kitchen gut recently and I looked at Formica options to save money, but I was not drawn to any of them (though they are improved from years ago).  Find what you are drawn to - you have to look at it every day.  We looked at granite, quartz, quartzite, butcher block/live edge, concrete and Formica. Ended up with quartz. It is a big decision so take your time. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

LOVE my Corian.  We have the off white so there isn't a seam attaching the Corian sinks.