Respected Contributor

Need input on countertop type please

Now, good folks, I have moved on to trying to figure out the 'type' of countertop to purchase for the house I'll be downsizing to soon.  I have considered quartz and granite - but for no longer that I'll be 'around'/age related, I can't justify purchasing the most expensive/highest quality countertops.  If you would be so kind, what type of counter tops have you been pleased with? TIA

Super Contributor

Re: Need input on countertop type please

[ Edited ]

I put in Corian countertops and love them! I picked a color/style that is great at hiding crumbs etc. They are six years old and look new. 

Honored Contributor

I've seen some pretty Formica colors and patterns.  Mine have lasted a long time and still look great.  That's probably what I'd choose.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Laminate. It comes in so many patterns and colors. Some of it will fool you into thinking it's real stone or wood. 

Honored Contributor

I would not get granite.  I had Corian in a previous house and liked it a lot.  For more a more reasonable price, I would go with a laminate or Formica as others have mentioned.  They have come a long way.  They are not your mother's countertops--LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I want quartz if i can ever afford to remodel. I have a very small amount of countertop. Im 57 and would still get it no matter how old i am. . It will last and resell easily. I covet it so much i know exactly what pattern and brand i want :::sigh:::

Esteemed Contributor

@sarahpanda 

Last time I picked out counter tops was 22 yrs ago, I think they are laminate and still look good.  They are white and are holding up great.

I suggest you Google counter tops for some great budget friendly suggestions.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did quartz 3 years ago.  Am i happy with choice?  Yes, but I am fanatical about putting hot objects on silicone trivets and thick wooden boards.  Manufacturers warn against putting hot objects on quartz as well as hot objects on one end with cold in other area.  Cleaning easy with dish soap or 1\2 water and vinegar mix.  I will say a spot of spilled red wine was left for few hours.  I used baking soda paste and it got out.  It is beautiful.  Install is key too.

Respected Contributor

Over my lifetime I think I have had them all. I agree that Formica or laminate is a good choice. I think HGTV House Hunters gave it an undeserving bad rap. I currently have quartz in my home, and I enjoy it. My least favorite was tile with grout followed closely by granite.

Don't let trends sway you. Get something you like and enjoy it.

Trusted Contributor

I have  Corian in what's called Quartz.  I love it. We had a fancy edge put on it. All I do is spray some 409 and wipe with a dish towel and they look brand new after 14 years.