Respected Contributor

Re: Need a new sofa...HELP!

[ Edited ]

I redid my house last year for a song by stalking items on the Wayfair CLEARANCE board.  You have to spend time there, but sometimes fabulous quality items are on sale for as much as 80% off.  There's free shipping for anything over $49 last I looked.  I got a couch for half price, but some of the ones they had were 80% off.  The clearance board consists of returns, and they want to send them out immediately upon their delivery to the warehouse without unloading and storing them.  Hence the gargantuan discounts.  Most of the items were in pristine condition, but I did call customer service when a couple arrived damaged.  They are very good about that.

I got two dressers for $200 for one and $240 for the other.  Both were being sold on their web site that day for three to four times that price, with the original retail price topping $1,000.  One is in the corner of my kitchen for additional storage.  It's cream-colored in a cottage style with a beautiful medium-brown stained top.  It matches my cabinetry.  I got a chair that was selling for $500 elsewhere on the web that very day for just $80, free shipping.  I could go on and on.  The trick is to put something in your cart the second you see it because it won't be there for long if you don't.  It stays there for 30 minutes so you have time to check it out.  This is a time-consuming process, but well worth it if you want to get furniture for literally a steal.  I've checked it a couple of times in the past year and they don't seem to be discounting things quite as much.  Still, if you stick with it and wait until the right item arrives, it is well worth it. 

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I highly recommend Lazy Boy - if you have a retail store where you live. I've found the quality and comfort to be better than just about anywhere else - at any price point.

The problem with Lazy Boy sofas is that the coushions are attached to the back and therefore cannot be rotated. I always buy Ethan Allan.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for all of your opinions & experiences.  I was a bit surprised that Basset really wasn't mentioned.  I may not keepthe sofa for a long time because we do plan on moving in several years & this new addition just may not work elsewhere...though I hope it will.  My style is more traditional or country.  The "cozy life"resembles Craftmaster sofas I have seen.  Now to hunt down stores that carry the brands you all mentioned.

Any other ideas would be appreciated & thanks again!

Super Contributor

Not sure of your budget but CarolinaChair.com is worth looking at. Well made NC furniture. Even Sunbrella fabrics ( easy to clean with dogs)

Honored Contributor

If you'd like to go a bit smaller and more eclectic, my own choice would be a loveseat and a separate chaise lounge.  8)

Respected Contributor

Next time I buy furniture, I am going with Flexsteel.

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

DH & I are in the market for a new leather couch/love seat.  I have read some posts regarding fake leather & to be aware of this issue.  Any recommendations for high quality leather vendors?  @Goldengate8361, I will be checking out Lazy Boy & thanks for the heads-up.  

Valued Contributor

Another Lazy Boy fan here. We have a 2-seater reclining loveseat that has withstood constant use with us and the 2 dogs. It's still in beautiful shape. It came in cream and dark brown, and I opted for the brown. I'm so glad I did now. It looks great.

Frequent Contributor

I had to answer your plea...I recommend you look into Palliser furniture. They are made in Canada and are excellent quality! They have many fabrics to chose from - high to lower end, depending on what your needs/wants are. I bought one of their sofas a couple of years ago - 3 cushions with an excellent microfiber fabric (custom). It was about $1300+. They carried the same couch, but with a leather covering and I think that was about $1800. I LOVE this couch and get many compliments on its comfort and it's style. Hope you find what you're looking for! It's a daunting task looking for furniture, so I hope this might help! Good luck! ...And no, I don't work for Palliser!!

Respected Contributor

I highly do not recommend La z boy at all, because their products are intentionally made not to last as long as they used to, and I discarded a very expensive 3 piece set because of that. That was a very expensive lesson indeed!

Now I only buy Flexsteel furniture which is really made to last and last, and they warranty is also excellent.