Frequent Contributor

Hello!

Well, after 25 yers of abuse, our Bassett sofa is about to hit the road.  I'm looking for a comfy upholstered new 1 & am so confused about the various company reviews.

Has anyone purchased a sofa lately who'd like to share their views?

Looking for something 85 -90" in length, a fabric that can hold up to a 40 lb. pup, & a neutral color.  I found the "Brewster" in Bassett, but I'm just not in love with their lack of fabric options these days.

Sure would love to hear from you!

Esteemed Contributor

I highly recommend Lazy Boy - if you have a retail store where you live. I've found the quality and comfort to be better than just about anywhere else - at any price point.

Honored Contributor

I recommend FLEXSTEEL, best frames around and they offer top quality fabrics as well as top quality foam in their cushions.

We had terrible, terrible service as well as product from Lazy Boy and had their repair guy out a total of half a dozen times to repair seams where the fabric would pull away from the stitching.  Stitching intact... the actual material would stretch away and pull.  The company would not do anything through the repair guys.  Finding the owner (not easy) was the only way to voice a serious complaint.  The owner "allowed" us to trade the suite of furniture (we bought $6 worth of furniture) for another suite.  Believe it or not, within 6 - 8 months we were experiencing serious problems with the fabric and foam cushions (and frame) of the new set.  Never again.

A few years later, by chance, we met a gentleman who used to be part of a LZ Boy management team and as we were talking he told us he quit the company because they were actually having meetings as to how to get their product to last less time.  In other words, to stop an average 10 - 15 year lifespan of a product to last maybe 7 - 10 years.  So that the customer would have to buy furniture more often.  I swear this is true....  There may be quality items in their stores.... but we weren't fortunate enough to find them.

(A good book regarding planned obsolescence is "The Wastemakers" by Vance Packard)

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

$6 = $6k worth of furniture.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Re: Need a new sofa...HELP!

[ Edited ]

Certain lines of furniture follow different styles.  I recently replaced our Broyhill couch which isn't "modern", nor do I decorate that way.  I'm more of a modified French Country.

What is your style?  Are you traditional?

Respected Contributor

As a family that lives on our furniture including 2 dogs.  I have found slipcover furniture to be my friend.

I recently (3 years ago) purchased a Pottery Barn slipcovered sofa and I LOVE the fact that I can remove the section on the sofa that has become soiled and wash it!  

You can even change the color as needed just by purchasing new slipcovers!

Very comfy and has held up well, even with 2 young pups using it as a launch pad!

Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

As a family that lives on our furniture including 2 dogs.  I have found slipcover furniture to be my friend.

I recently (3 years ago) purchased a Pottery Barn slipcovered sofa and I LOVE the fact that I can remove the section on the sofa that has become soiled and wash it!  

Very comfy and has held up well, even with 2 young pups using it as a launch pad!

My friend bought a new PB couch with removable cushions.  It was nice to sit on except there was a gap between the back cushion and the seat, so it didn't hit my lower back where I need the support.  Does your couch do this?  I've been wanting to buy one, but am worried it won't be comfortable on my back. 

Respected Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

My friend bought a new PB couch with removable cushions.  It was nice to sit on except there was a gap between the back cushion and the seat, so it didn't hit my lower back where I need the support.  Does your couch do this?  I've been wanting to buy one, but am worried it won't be comfortable on my back. 

No it does not.  I have the PB Comfort box edge sofa.  I can see this being a problem with the knife edge.

Honored Contributor

Re: Need a new sofa...HELP!

[ Edited ]

I got the couch in the cream and turquoise room and love it!  I chose red pile to go with my antiques.  Woven fabs wear too badly.  It's an extremely comfortable couch!  The pillows are down.

We got a fantastic rubber backed couch cover for our 90 pound "baby".  The cover is washable, and I have a towel where he sits which I clorox when I wash ours every few days.  Works like a charm!

http://www.mycozylife.com/

Trusted Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

I recommend FLEXSTEEL, best frames around and they offer top quality fabrics as well as top quality foam in their cushions.

We had terrible, terrible service as well as product from Lazy Boy and had their repair guy out a total of half a dozen times to repair seams where the fabric would pull away from the stitching.  Stitching intact... the actual material would stretch away and pull.  The company would not do anything through the repair guys.  Finding the owner (not easy) was the only way to voice a serious complaint.  The owner "allowed" us to trade the suite of furniture (we bought $6 worth of furniture) for another suite.  Believe it or not, within 6 - 8 months we were experiencing serious problems with the fabric and foam cushions (and frame) of the new set.  Never again.

A few years later, by chance, we met a gentleman who used to be part of a LZ Boy management team and as we were talking he told us he quit the company because they were actually having meetings as to how to get their product to last less time.  In other words, to stop an average 10 - 15 year lifespan of a product to last maybe 7 - 10 years.  So that the customer would have to buy furniture more often.  I swear this is true....  There may be quality items in their stores.... but we weren't fortunate enough to find them.

(A good book regarding planned obsolescence is "The Wastemakers" by Vance Packard)

tulips, thanks for bringing this topic up...

I thought maybe the standard in furniture had become 7-10 yrs and less.  With some that I have run into, it is...I bought CatNapper LoveSeat and Recliner 4 yrs ago, the LS still functions well and material ok, but I can feel springs in the seats for a yr now.  

I'm careful with it and don't flop down on it and I'm pretty much only person that uses it. Hubby sits in the recliner...it is very worn out also, worse than the LS. He is tougher on it though. I'm disappointed and will not purchase CN again.

I have been reading reviews on furniture trying to decide what to go with...I've paid less for furniture that lasted much longer. 

I'm looking forward to reading the replies !

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~