Honored Contributor

Re: Living Room With White Washed Ceiling

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

To me what ties the room together, gives it substance and  a focal point and presence is the piece over the fireplace.

Without that it would be a disjointed mess and you wouldn't know where to look. 

@Sooner 

I don't think the room is disjointed.  It does have that piece above the fireplace as a focus but the room is well organized, planned and quite beautiful without the crest or the chandelier.  I think it is lovely.  

I withdraw my comment.  Maybe I am crazy.

@Nonametoday ????? Woman Surprised

@Sooner 

Meaning I really think this room is well put together but the crest and chandelier are moribund (for me) but then maybe I am the one who is wrong about all things and the room is all moribund but the crest and chandelier are perfect.  Whose opinion is what!?!

@Nonametoday  Well, not sure how that signified near death, but I think the room needed something large scale and with real presence and weight to offset the huge scale of the ceiling.

I think the carving and the light fixture play up the feeling that perhaps this is an old structure with presence and history.  Otherwise, to me it's just another run-of-the-mill room.   To me, those give it personality and a uniqueness that make it work.

That would make it MY room and not yours or someone else's and I like an individual spin on things! Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I don't like the painted ceiling. I'd prefer the original wood. Still, I like lots of other things in the room. I like the fireplace, windows, floor, rugs, sofas, chairs, lamps, and pillows. I don't care for the chandelier, crest, or tables. 

Respected Contributor

@jubilant @wilma Love the warmth of this room...wouldn't change a thing

Respected Contributor

@jubilant 

it's a lovely room.  I like most of it but some people go on overload with pillows.  I'd get rid of some also, along with the busy patterned rugs & chandelier.

Thank you for sharing.

Honored Contributor

Really pretty room, love the ceiling.