Honored Contributor

Re: LR Makeover, Before & After

I much prefer the second picture.  The creamy white color is very inviting, yet warm. It's not at all a stark white.    The books invite me in and add just enough color.  Nothing takes away from anything else in that room.  It just works for me.  I love it!  What a difference from the before.  I found that one rather bleak.

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono 

Pic 1 - I dislike the style & colors.

Pic 2 - I dislike the use of "white" EVERYTHING.  Had they used some colors, even soft colors, it would have improved the appearance.  This photo using white only has everything blending in together.  Blah.

Thank you for sharing.

Esteemed Contributor

Easy choice for me.  The first one looks old, dated, and dark.  The second is much more fresh and light.  Give me light every time!  I like pretty much everything about the second one.

Having said that, I'm not a fan of the all-white.  I like white, but this is too much.  And certainly not practical, even for people without kids and/or pets.  So some variation of the second photo would be my choice.  The first one is a definite no for me.

(Interesting how so many of us feel so strongly one way or the other!)

Valued Contributor

@lolakimono ...  Absolutely LOVE it !!

Super Contributor

@sceniccoast wrote:

@lolakimono 

Pic 1 - I dislike the style & colors.

Pic 2 - I dislike the use of "white" EVERYTHING.  Had they used some colors, even soft colors, it would have improved the appearance.  This photo using white only has everything blending in together.  Blah.

Thank you for sharing.

@sceniccoast, I'm truly becoming curious what style you do like.  I see you don't like the style of either of these pics and in another post titled "Tastefully Appointed Old World Living Room", you didn't like that one either!  Please share a picture of what appeals to you!  (Please believe me when I say I'm not being snarky or anything.  My curiosity just got the best of me...)

Man plans. God laughs.
Esteemed Contributor

I prefer the "before" but I would make several changes to freshen it up. The "after" is too sterile, cold and......boring!  I've never been too fond of all-white rooms whether it be a kitchen, living room, etc.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

@caroln242 

I just responded on @Jersey Born's thread that you referred to.  I hope I'm not offending anyone here when I reply with a "negative" opinion.  I truly don't mean to.  I've always admitted my style is different, but I'm just being honest.  Sorry, I've never posted a photo & appreciate all that do.  You can read my response on the other thread.  Let me know your thoughts once after you've read it.

Super Contributor

@sceniccoast wrote:

@caroln242 

I just responded on @Jersey Born's thread that you referred to.  I hope I'm not offending anyone here when I reply with a "negative" opinion.  I truly don't mean to.  I've always admitted my style is different, but I'm just being honest.  Sorry, I've never posted a photo & appreciate all that do.  You can read my response on the other thread.  Let me know your thoughts once after you've read it.

I see where your tastes are leaning.  A very pretty look.  I'm imagining something like this?

coastal.jpg

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

Not a fan of either room.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I don't love either room. The first one is too dark, and the second one is too much white. 

I've had dark colored furnishings and liked that at the time.  I'm leaning toward lighter neutral colors right now in my home, but I still need some color.