Respected Contributor

Knitting is my #1 stress-buster! I always have numerous projects going, in various stages of completion. I have such a large yarn stash right now that when I recently moved, one of my helpers said that "yarn" had become a 4-letter word to her{#emotions_dlg.blush}

My wips (works in progress) include very easy items to one or two very challenging projects, so I can decide how much my brain wants to exercise at any given time.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

My favorite places to find free patterns are KnitPicks & Ravelry. KnitPicks did 52 free dishcloth patterns in 2014, some knit & some crocheted. I'm on their email subscriber list & see that they've just released yet another free knit dishcloth pattern. What I like about Ravelry is that I can refine a pattern search based on knitted or crocheted (I do a "little" crocheting), project type, yarn type, yarn yardage (really useful for those stashed yarns), etc. Yes, sometimes I buy patterns there, too, but usually look for the free ones first.

Happy Knitting to you all in 2015!

Super Contributor
On 1/21/2015 VCamp2748 said:

Knitting is my #1 stress-buster! I always have numerous projects going, in various stages of completion. I have such a large yarn stash right now that when I recently moved, one of my helpers said that "yarn" had become a 4-letter word to her{#emotions_dlg.blush}

My wips (works in progress) include very easy items to one or two very challenging projects, so I can decide how much my brain wants to exercise at any given time.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

My favorite places to find free patterns are KnitPicks & Ravelry. KnitPicks did 52 free dishcloth patterns in 2014, some knit & some crocheted. I'm on their email subscriber list & see that they've just released yet another free knit dishcloth pattern. What I like about Ravelry is that I can refine a pattern search based on knitted or crocheted (I do a "little" crocheting), project type, yarn type, yarn yardage (really useful for those stashed yarns), etc. Yes, sometimes I buy patterns there, too, but usually look for the free ones first.

Happy Knitting to you all in 2015!

Knitty dot com is another wonderful free pattern resource if you're not already aware of it.

Honored Contributor

I love knitting especially during football season! I make mostly baby afghans for Project Linus or as gifts for friends.

Kathoderay, thanks for the pattern. I'm going to try to make it into a baby afghan. I, too, like others can only do simple patterns that don't take my full attention. Another downside of getting older!!!

Thanks to the others who suggested different websites. I subscribe to the Lion Brand website and get a lot of info and free patterns there.

Esteemed Contributor

I can't knit, but I have crocheted for over 40 years, does that count. I've made 20 slouch hats I sold for Christmas, 40 beanies for the Phoenix Children's Hospital, 8 double potholders, and now I am working on a layette for my niece's baby due in spring. I always have 2 or 3 projects going at the same time so I don't get bored with one item.

Trusted Contributor
On 1/21/2015 jackthebear said:

how many are on Ravelry?

I have been very lazy with knitting recently too

Ravelry has such an extensive pattern list. I like the feature they have that lets you sort patterns based on yarn type or designer and other categories. I'm currently working on an afghan using a mosaic knitting stitch and a knitted purse that will be felted. Recently I've also gotten more into wet and needle felting with fiber rather than knitting.

Esteemed Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I love to knit and have been knitting since I am 12 I am 54 now. I was very hurt by my niece who had twins three years ago and I knitted the babies [a girl and a boy] sweaters, little socks and hats and a two blankets all in green and yellow and pink. She saw it had no price tag and thrown it aside. My sister-in-law [her mother] was very upset. And I was close to tears. The project took me almost 9 months to finish. Everyone was oohing and awing about it when they saw it. I know you ladies who knit know how much the wool cost and how much making something for the babies meant something to me. These are my Godchildren .. she later said she was sorry. But, I never made her children another thing. I only knit for my family and friends who appreciate and will get use out of the outfits. The twins are three almost four now. I see them quite often and when they were babies I never ever saw them wear any of the outfits I knitted for them.{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Esteemed Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.blush} oops forgot to add... I am working on a open cardigan in cream for my daughter Tanya who is 18 years old it has short sleeves and is a boyfriend style she can belt it or wear it loose and flowing. It is working up very nicely. I will do the neckline in a popcorn stich [hope I spelled that right?] and the sleeves cuffed and also the popcorn stich to give it a little texture. I was not to sure of the pattern but, it is working up very well. Love this thread.. Have a nice day!

Super Contributor
On 1/21/2015 Matty6 said:

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I love to knit and have been knitting since I am 12 I am 54 now. I was very hurt by my niece who had twins three years ago and I knitted the babies [a girl and a boy] sweaters, little socks and hats and a two blankets all in green and yellow and pink. She saw it had no price tag and thrown it aside. My sister-in-law [her mother] was very upset. And I was close to tears. The project took me almost 9 months to finish. Everyone was oohing and awing about it when they saw it. I know you ladies who knit know how much the wool cost and how much making something for the babies meant something to me. These are my Godchildren .. she later said she was sorry. But, I never made her children another thing. I only knit for my family and friends who appreciate and will get use out of the outfits. The twins are three almost four now. I see them quite often and when they were babies I never ever saw them wear any of the outfits I knitted for them.{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Ugh, I know this so well! I learned long ago not to knit for other people when I was told once that "yarn thing" (I spent months knitting a lace shawl) was the best gift I could get her? Then with of all the nerve she had in her vain self, years later, asked me to knit a blanket for her new baby! Um, no!

I'm sorry you went through that situation, I know how much it hurts.

Super Contributor
On 1/21/2015 straitgirl said:

I can't knit, but I have crocheted for over 40 years, does that count. I've made 20 slouch hats I sold for Christmas, 40 beanies for the Phoenix Children's Hospital, 8 double potholders, and now I am working on a layette for my niece's baby due in spring. I always have 2 or 3 projects going at the same time so I don't get bored with one item.

Yes, crochet counts! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Super Contributor
On 1/21/2015 castlenv said:

I love knitting especially during football season! I make mostly baby afghans for Project Linus or as gifts for friends.

Kathoderay, thanks for the pattern. I'm going to try to make it into a baby afghan. I, too, like others can only do simple patterns that don't take my full attention. Another downside of getting older!!!

Thanks to the others who suggested different websites. I subscribe to the Lion Brand website and get a lot of info and free patterns there.

What an interesting idea! Please let me know how it works out.