Esteemed Contributor

I have a really nice stainless one with black trim.It has a nice cover that opens when you step on the pedal.I keep it on the side of my refrigerator.You can’t see it when you walk in the kitchen until you walk to the other end. It blends well with my stainless appliances.

I never thought I’d spend $80 for a trash can but I wanted a nice one.JMO but for several reasons I would never store a trash can under a cabinet.

Respected Contributor

I keep ours in the cabinet under the kitchen sink.  It's a smaller trash can, but holds plenty.  Same for the bathroom ones behind closed doors -- out of sight!!!

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear  We had a cheapo plastic one from Kmart  that we had for years with a swinging lid.  I hated it with the swinging lid always needing cleaning, garbage spilling over all the time and the garbage smells and over time it got really bad looking.  I got so fed up with it that when I saw K45561 - 13 gallon stainless steel trash can with compactor lid for $99.98 I ordered it with my SO rolling his eyes at what he saw was a waste of money!!  It is the best - can put more in it with the compactor, no garbage odors, easy to change bag, and the best part it is so easy to just wipe clean the stainless steel and take out the compactor part and wash it.  Looks great!  My SO now has admitted how much nicer it is to get more in each bag and for him not having to scrub it out (I hated it so much I wouldn't take the bag out or clean it) to make it look better.  I no longer stress out over it and swear at it!!   Way worth the price!!

Esteemed Contributor

I kept my in the walk-in pantry and kept the door open when I was using the kitchen.  Can you do that?

Respected Contributor

Look around for a nice looking one.  There are plenty of options, in addition to the ones posted earlier.  My sister has a wooden one that holds a standard plastic bin.  It opens from the front, and looks like a piece of furniture.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Maybe you could put one of those smaller (rubbermaid) plastic cans inside your sink base door.  You'd have to empty it more often, but it *hides* it.

At one house, I have the 18 inch drawer that holds 2 waste cans, one for trash and one for recycle.  I'm not wild about having to open a drawer constantly to dispose of whatever and sometimes I leave the drawer open a little.  (A closeted waste can would drive me insane, too!)

At my other house, I have two lidded trash cans (stainless steel) at the end of the counters.  It's sort of leading out of the kitchen so you don't see them really.  The recycle fills up so much faster and is a pain because it's round and most things that go in it are square.  I compress everything, but the grandkids can't/don't!

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear  I have the same issue in my new place.  There is nowhere really for a trash can. 

I have a small bathroom size trash can under the kitchen sink for anything that can't be recycled which isn't much so it works for me. 

I also have a larger regular one for recyclables which I do have out but I could put it in a storage area if I really wanted to.  Since I rarely have company, it's out for convenience.

If you have a TJ Maxx or Homegoods or Burlington Coat Factory near you, they have really nice trash cans for around $30-50.  They had a perfect one for me in a designer color that would have totally matched my kitchen but I wasn't moved in yet.  It was gone when I went back for it so I made do with this other option until if and when I find it again.  

Trusted Contributor
  1. Many years ago my mil bought me a metal bracket that I screwed into the inside of my cabinet under the sink. It uses the plastic garbage bags with the handle ties from the dollar store. I love it. Every night after tightening up the kitchen I take the garbage out and but a fresh bag on that way I don't smell it in the morning when I come down.
Trusted Contributor
  1. Many years ago my mil bought me a metal bracket that I screwed into the inside of my cabinet under the sink. It uses the plastic garbage bags with the handle ties from the dollar store. I love it. Every night after tightening up the kitchen I take the garbage out and but a fresh bag on that way I don't smell it in the morning when I come down..
Esteemed Contributor

Years ago I found a wooden trash can that you just put  a liner inside. It almost looks like a cabinet. I agree that the regular style trash can looks unsightly sitting in the room. It's always bothered me.  I've seen some slim style cans but not all of them are budget friendly. I think you could DIY project this option if you were able to find an old cabinet or trunk.