Super Contributor

Re: Is it rude to remove one's shoes when entering another's home?

I would never ask a guest to take their shoes off. If they take it off, fine, if they don't, that is fine too. If the carpet gets dirty, I have a carpet shampooed.
. I would never embarrass anyone. Its rude.

Super Contributor

Why would someone be "embarrassed" by being asked to take their shoes off? I have made exception for the rare guest that cannot walk without shoes but otherwise - my house, my rules! There is behavior expected from a good guest as well as from a good host and part of that is to respect the rules of the home you are entering. Same when you go to someone's house of worship or visit a foreign country. You are supposed to follow what they feel is acceptable. Why should my home be any different?

Honored Contributor

On 12/28/2014 BlueCollarBabe said:

Why would someone be "embarrassed" by being asked to take their shoes off? I have made exception for the rare guest that cannot walk without shoes but otherwise - my house, my rules! There is behavior expected from a good guest as well as from a good host and part of that is to respect the rules of the home you are entering. Same when you go to someone's house of worship or visit a foreign country. You are supposed to follow what they feel is acceptable. Why should my home be any different?

A person may be embarrassed because they have ugly feet, have a genetic foot odor that remains even when their feet are clean, or are just concerned about the disease that they may get from the other shoeless guests .

Shoes are meant to protect one's feet, suppose a glass gets dropped and broken or they bang their toe on the corner of furniture. No one should be expected to undress at the door to protect carpet.

If you plan to ask guests to go shoeless at least forewarn them so they decline the invitation.

Honored Contributor

On 12/28/2014 sunshine45 said:
On 12/27/2014 occasional rain said:
On 12/27/2014 sunshine45 said:
On 12/27/2014 JJ said:

may i suggest this product be kept in your purses at all times....then you will always be prepared!

http://www.footzyfolds.com/

Some people need to wear a supportive shoe at all times because of a medical condition. I have a sister that does. She would never be able to wear "footzy folds". I guess she would be rude to all of you with the "no shoes in the house" rule.

i never said i forced the issue. i stated that most everyone knows that people, friends, and family do not wear shoes in my home. i dont ask people to remove them, but MOST people do without me having to ask. it has been a part of my culture and this is how i grew up.

So you invite JJ's sister to your home for a get together. At your door she sees the others removing their shoes upon entering. How do you suppose JJ's sister will feel? Should she quietly leave or does she have to explain her health issue? Even if she gets the go ahead to wear her shoes, how comfortable, how enjoyable will her evening be?

i cannot say i have EVER had a problem with people taking their shoes off OR keeping them on if that is what they prefer. i personally dont make an issue of it......and again, most of my friends and family members have the same preferences in their own homes.

would YOU make me feel bad if i wanted to remove my shoes before entering YOUR home?

I'd tell you there was no need for you to remove your shoes. I can't think wearing shoes would make you uncomfortable since you had them on when you arrived.

yes, there is a need.....my need.....i prefer to remove my shoes in my home and others homes. wearing them outside is totally different than wearing them inside someones home.

So, you keep your shoes on everywhere but in someone's home. If you said you preferred to remove your shoes, I wouldn't object. However, I would remove you from future guest lists.

Super Contributor

I remember a thread a couple yrs ago one poster said she went to a baby or bridal shower and when she got there the host was asking everyone to take of their shoes, and provided a basket of used slippers and she felt very uncomfortable as it should have been stated in the invitation. Agreed! I don't ask my guests to take off their shoes & I've never been asked too. I suppose if someone just put in new carpet i wouldn't be offended. But I think it would be really weird to have a party and everyone is in socks! We live in the desert & many of the people I spend time with we are i. Flip flops 9 months out of the year I've known most of my close friends for over 20 yrs and we vacation together so going barefoot in our homes is not a big deal as we have them as guests and vice Versa. We are having some new friends over next week from my husbands work, and just thinking of them in socks or barefeet is hilarious. Im not ready to see their feet!! Haha My dh and i keep ours groomed so asking us to take off ours is not a big deal!
Honored Contributor

On 12/28/2014 occasional rain said:
On 12/28/2014 sunshine45 said:
On 12/27/2014 JJ said:

may i suggest this product be kept in your purses at all times....then you will always be prepared!

http://www.footzyfolds.com/

Some people need to wear a supportive shoe at all times because of a medical condition. I have a sister that does. She would never be able to wear "footzy folds". I guess she would be rude to all of you with the "no shoes in the house" rule.

i never said i forced the issue. i stated that most everyone knows that people, friends, and family do not wear shoes in my home. i dont ask people to remove them, but MOST people do without me having to ask. it has been a part of my culture and this is how i grew up.

So you invite JJ's sister to your home for a get together. At your door she sees the others removing their shoes upon entering. How do you suppose JJ's sister will feel? Should she quietly leave or does she have to explain her health issue? Even if she gets the go ahead to wear her shoes, how comfortable, how enjoyable will her evening be?

i cannot say i have EVER had a problem with people taking their shoes off OR keeping them on if that is what they prefer. i personally dont make an issue of it......and again, most of my friends and family members have the same preferences in their own homes.

would YOU make me feel bad if i wanted to remove my shoes before entering YOUR home?

I'd tell you there was no need for you to remove your shoes. I can't think wearing shoes would make you uncomfortable since you had them on when you arrived.

yes, there is a need.....my need.....i prefer to remove my shoes in my home and others homes. wearing them outside is totally different than wearing them inside someones home.

So, you keep your shoes on everywhere but in someone's home. If you said you preferred to remove your shoes, I wouldn't object. However, I would remove you from future guest lists.

LOL......fine by me! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

On 12/28/2014 BlueCollarBabe said:

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

i found it hysterical that i am now off of the original posters guest list because i prefer NOT to wear shoes in homes due to cultural reasons! i guess she feels that it isnt okay to ask people to remove their shoes but it IS okay to ask them to NOT remove their shoes.....interesting twist.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

If this thread is a spoof of another, where is the other thread? Sorry, I've been away for a few days.

Honored Contributor

On 12/28/2014 ValuSkr said:

If this thread is a spoof of another, where is the other thread? Sorry, I've been away for a few days.

http://community.qvc.com/forums/for-the-home-talk/topic/485694/is-it-rude-to-ask-visitors-to-take-of...

Honored Contributor

Most people arrive at a party dressed for the occasion, their shoes are part of their attire. I can't imagine a person assuming they should remove their shoes unless they were met at the door by a shoeless host. Someone who removed their shoes while the others kept their's on would be rude; therefore, off future guest lists. No one wants to see your naked feet unless they have a foot fetish.

Door mats are sold for people to wipe their feet prior to entering, rain washes the outside surfaces and the sun kills germs. As to the spit concern; it dries and becomes airborne so it's as likely to be on one's clothing as it is on the bottom of one's shoes.