Regular Contributor

Is it rude to ask visitors to take off shoes at the door if circumstances warrant it?

We live in an upscale condo building in a large metropolitan area. The public areas of the building are not well maintained, despite numerous requests by residents for improved service. The concrete floor of the garage has not been washed in a year. Carpeting in the public hallways and in the public staircases has not been shampooed for nearly two years. The lobby is often littered. The parking lot is notorious for bits of broken glass residue from visits by the garbage truck. We ask our visitors to remove their shoes when they enter our condo. We are concerned that they can easily track in anything into our home.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Is it rude to ask visitors to take off shoes at the door if circumstances warrant it?

Personally? Yes. It seems awfully pretentious when your carpet is more important than your guests comfort. Even if you had a stark white carpet what is more important? How your carpet looks or how your guests feel?

I had a friend who built a house out in Napa Valley. For some reason they used a ridiculously expensive soft wood for the flooring. They threw a house warming and asked everyone to take off their shoes. The next party hardly anyone showed up.

If you let people know well in advance and they still come then they are fine with it. I also know someone who has booties that go over shoes because they have antique carpeting in their den and parlor. Still a little uncomfortable but at least you don't have to take off your shoes.

Respected Contributor

Re: Is it rude to ask visitors to take off shoes at the door if circumstances warrant it?

Aren't you paying condo fees to maintain public areas? I would be more concerned about that.

Super Contributor

Unless you have a family member with a severely weakened immune system and are trying to avoid tracking in anything extra with shoes, I would say yes.

Super Contributor

i guess yes..

Valued Contributor

I just moved into a condo. In fact, today (12/26) I am there exactly one month. I had the entire condo re-carpeted and painted. All condos are on one level and people can enter through the attached garage or the front door. I have door mats at each entrance so people can wipe their shoes. Several of my friends have come over and all ask if they should remove their shoes and I always say 'NO!' I want people to feel at home in my home. Carpeting can always be cleaned but the way you make people feel will remain forever.

To the OP, how upscale can the condo be if it is so poorly maintained? Residents need to get together, take photos and ask the condo association to hold a special meeting to address these issues. You pay an association fee and that fee includes, I'm sure, maintenance of the common property. Just my opinion. docsgirl

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't mind but would want to be told ahead of time.

Honored Contributor

I think it's placing more importance on material things than any friends/relatives you invite and in poor taste. It would be better to just not invite anyone if you feel that way or like others have said if you are upfront about the policy to have to remove shoes then it would be the guests choice whether to attend or not. I, personally, would not go to anyone's home where it's an edict and if told this at the door I would say good bye and leave! If they were coming from the outdoors where there is wet muddy earth I would see no problem with having them wipe their shoes off.

Honored Contributor

On 12/26/2014 Montana said:

Aren't you paying condo fees to maintain public areas? I would be more concerned about that.

especially if it's ""upscale""........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

I don't think it is rude at all. I don't want shoes that have been in disgusting public parking lots or any other place where people sp*t or throw the gum, on the floor and carpet where my pets are. Its OUR home and if people don't like it, they don't have to visit.