Esteemed Contributor

Re: I'm Doing Fall Decorating This Weekend. Are you?

It's still August where I live, with temps in the low 90s and high humidity...fall is at least 3 weeks away and it will still be in the upper 80s even then! Nope - it's not fall and I only do a little decorating for Christmas!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

I'm considering it. My husband is on vacation, and the fall decor tubs are still stored in the basement, and heavy. 

Since he is off, if the weather cools down I may get him to bring them up since he has more time this week, and I will get it done. 

Considering selling off some of my fall decor (not as emotionally attached to it as the Christmas stuff) and if I'm going to do that, I need to get it listed by the first week in September.

My switch to fall only takes two hours maximum. I'm much more controlled with this than I am with Christmas. 

My goal is to someday get Christmas that under control!

Haha! Yes, I would like to have my husband home for the bringing up frome the basement portion of the program. However, my boxes are not so heavy. I don't have anything to sell off, because I just started decorating for Fall a few years ago.. Actually, I was considering visiting Hobby Lobby for the first time this weekend. We have one about 45 minutes away from us. I thought I'd go to see what all the excitement is about. I think DH would go.

So you've never been to HL?! You are in for some fun!

I'm not a big fan of a lot of their fall things. Many of them are kind of cheap looking, but still some nice things. 

I tend to find their Christmas things more exciting (and I don't need a single thing!)

Have fun and let us know what you think!

@Mominohio Well, I just got back from HL!! WOW! I had no idea what I was in for. My DH went too, because my DD thought we would both like it. He did as well! I have to say, I only bought a Christmas ornament, because I was not alone, if you know what I mean. I'll go back sometime without him to get some fall things on sale. I think their florals are great. But I had no idea there were so many decor items. There are lots and lots of Christmas items out already. Once I know what fall decor I'm missing and what Christmas wrapping accessories I need, I'll go back. I wanted to take pics of the displays. It seemed like a destination for me. Hahahaha!

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom,

Before you go to Hobby Lobby, go to their website and print a coupon to take with you...they're usually always 40% off one item.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

@PA Mom-mom,

Before you go to Hobby Lobby, go to their website and print a coupon to take with you...they're usually always 40% off one item.

@Tyak You know I did!

Honored Contributor

When I lived in NY, I'd wait until the giant mum plants hit the nurseries, then I'd buy several - also pumpkins, hay bales and anything else that caught my fancy.  Here in the Southwest, the best I can do is fake mums and faux pumpkins - nothing else could withstand the weather.  It's a little cheesy looking up close, but it works.  I did my decorating on Labor Day, as I always do and of course it was 100° yesterday.

IMG_8441.JPG

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm thinking about doing the few things I do this coming weekend.  It's supposed to be rainy Sunday with cooler temps.

Last week, the holiday weekend and through today have been near or at 100 with the heat index and we've had tropical dew points.  School has already been cancelled several times due to excessive heat.  I'm not even close to being in the mood for fall stuff.

The weather is supposed to break tomorrow so I may do some things this weekend. 

@house_cat, unfortunately, the gian mum plants and mums in general, have been at the stores for several weeks already.  In fact I think a month.  The problem with that is, it's so hot, they are all in full bloom already.  When it's truely fall and I want the colorful blooms, they will be done because they've been out too early.

If I put a pumpkin out now, it will be rotted in no time flat.  LOL

Respected Contributor

I am starting on a small scale. I really want to concentrate my efforts on two or three vignettes and not have touches scattered all over. We'll see. 

Super tired of summer......ready to let it go. 

Honored Contributor

I changed out the wreaths in the den and TV room in addition to the one in our dining room. I am ordering a new Fall tablecloth and will be removing the Lenox butterfly garden cloth. 

The front door wreath will come down and replaced with a beautiful fall wreath I purchased from QVC last year. Other than that I don't do a lot of decorating for Fall.

Respected Contributor

No.  I am not ready yet.  Once the trees start showing their colors and my summer blooms start to fade I'll be ready.  My exterior fall decor carries me thru Fall,  Halloween and Thanksgiving by just adding/subtracting a few pieces.

Honored Contributor

I don't do much Fall Decorating other than a Fall Wreath on my Front Door, and some cute little Pumpkins on my Fireplace, but it has been so hot here, I can't even think about Fall.

I will wait until the last weekend of this month to do that.....I don't want to Rush the seasons, Summer is too short around here as it is..My neighbor already put up her Halloween decorations-too early for that in my opinion!