Respected Contributor

Re: How small of a home could you live in?

1120 because we did for 30 years, raising a family, one bathroom and we survived.  Now retired, we're in just over 1500 sq. ft.,  two bathrooms and this is much better.

Honored Contributor

This is as small as I will ever go, we are now in a 2 br, 2 bath condo.  it's 1200 sq ft.  It's spacious for the 2 of us but I grew up in a big colonial and raised my girls in big colonial so even after all this time, this condo feels small at times.  Weird because people live in houses that are smaller.  

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

A split level home and a split entry home are not the same thing.

Split entry - you walk in the front door onto a landing, to one side are stairs to lower level, which may or may not be finished. On the other side are stairs up to the living area which has living room, dining room, kitchen, bedrooms and bathrooms  set up just like a ranch. Because the basement is NOT UNDERGROUND it is considered taxable living space, and yes there is a door to the outside from that level.In the case of our home half the lower level was unfinished basement/laundry and the other half was garage. If we wanted that level finished it was an option when we ordered house to be built, but my DH said one reason he wanted a house was to get a basement,so we left ours unfinished. The basement area was heated and cooled, though we usually kept the registers closed to keep our bills lower. we had a full bath on the lower level, with a shower.

That is interesting.  I thought that was called a bi-level home?  Or is that also something different? 

When DH and I were initially house hunting our agent showed us a couple of bi-level homes and we didn't like them at all.  My DH hated that the bedrooms were over the garage in all of them we saw and we didn't like all the stairs.  We would have had to walk upstairs just to get to the entryway of the house, then up more stairs to get to the main living space.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Where I lived most of my life and practiced real estate, a home in which you enter into a small foyer on one level and  must choose to walk up several steps to the main living room/kitchen/dining  area..........or walk down several stairs to a rec room/utility area....is known as a "split foyer".  The lower level is partially below-ground.  (Not a popular floorplan and often sells for less than other floorplans.)

A split level  can be nice because you walk into the main level right away, and can walk up a relatively few steps to the bedroom level or walk down to the rec room/utility area.

A bi-level (least desirable floorplan where I came from) requires walking in the front door to an informal, bottom-level rec room area, but  you must walk up a flight of stairs to the main  kitchen, living room, dining room and most of the bedrooms.

Most popular of all floorplans where I came from was the two-story traditional center-hall colonial.

Respected Contributor

When it comes to "how small a house you could live in", it all depends on how a home is laid out.

DH and I recently sold a 3,500SF home and moved to a 2,500SF home, but lots of the square footage is on the upper level ---  a very small guest bedroom w/ attached bath, a huge center hall  that is wasted space and a huge "bonus room" that we had fully finished but serves as just storage.

I feel a little cramped on the main level where the master bedroom/kitchen/dining/living room/second bedroom are , and only go upstairs to all that wasted space when absolutely necessary!

Honored Contributor

Among modern (post 1960's) homes in the Pittsburgh area I'd say Split entry homes are the most popular homes. They are very efficient, once inside all the living area is on one floor, so unless you have reason to go into the basement - you never go up or down any stairs. When I was in a wheelchair for several months after foot surgery I had easy access to my whole living area of the house with my wheelchair. They are also spacious, open and things like the fact that the bathrooms , the laundry area and the kitchen are all in the same center of the home makes plumbing runs short. No waiting for hot water.The furnace is also right in the middle of the basement making heating efficient.A modern home designed using modern knowledge to be less expensive to build and to own and operate. I loved that house and If I could I'd have another just like it. 

Honored Contributor

One level ranch style homes are the norm here in rural areas because they have all the land they need at a good price.  In urban areas where lots are expensive it's two story houses.

I've lived in a two story so many years it would be really strange to me to live in a one story now.  I love having the upstairs for guests or for a place to go read or nap or have friends over to watch a football game (hubby has a big tv up there!).

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

A split level home and a split entry home are not the same thing.

Split entry - you walk in the front door onto a landing, to one side are stairs to lower level, which may or may not be finished. On the other side are stairs up to the living area which has living room, dining room, kitchen, bedrooms and bathrooms  set up just like a ranch. Because the basement is NOT UNDERGROUND it is considered taxable living space, and yes there is a door to the outside from that level.In the case of our home half the lower level was unfinished basement/laundry and the other half was garage. If we wanted that level finished it was an option when we ordered house to be built, but my DH said one reason he wanted a house was to get a basement,so we left ours unfinished. The basement area was heated and cooled, though we usually kept the registers closed to keep our bills lower. we had a full bath on the lower level, with a shower.

@151949

I thought this was exactly the difference between the two. Not a lot of split entry homes in this area. Some were popular and being built in the 1970's and 80's, but don't see any going up here now. Great to clarify!

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Where I lived most of my life and practiced real estate, a home in which you enter into a small foyer on one level and  must choose to walk up several steps to the main living room/kitchen/dining  area..........or walk down several stairs to a rec room/utility area....is known as a "split foyer".  The lower level is partially below-ground.  (Not a popular floorplan and often sold for less than other floorplans.)

A split level  can be nice because you walk into the main level right away, and can walk up a relatively few steps to the bedroom level or walk down to the rec room/utility area.

A bi-level (least desirable floorplan where I came from) requires walking in the front door to an informal, bottom-level rec room area, but  you must walk up a flight of stairs to the main  kitchen, living room, dining room and most of the bedrooms.

Most popular of all floorplans where I came from was the two-story traditional center-hall colonial.

@ Nice explanation. 

My only clairification would be that in a split level, those few stairs up to bedrooms or down to rec room/laundry and basement are not right in the entry way, at least none I've seen. You walk into the main floor living room usually, and have the entire first floor much like a traditional two story home, with stairs located far into the rooms.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Among modern (post 1960's) homes in the Pittsburgh area I'd say Split entry homes are the most popular homes. They are very efficient, once inside all the living area is on one floor, so unless you have reason to go into the basement - you never go up or down any stairs. When I was in a wheelchair for several months after foot surgery I had easy access to my whole living area of the house with my wheelchair. They are also spacious, open and things like the fact that the bathrooms , the laundry area and the kitchen are all in the same center of the home makes plumbing runs short. No waiting for hot water.The furnace is also right in the middle of the basement making heating efficient.A modern home designed using modern knowledge to be less expensive to build and to own and operate. I loved that house and If I could I'd have another just like it. 

I never liked this style simply for the entry. I don't find walking in the front door, to two stair cases, and having to carry things up or down them, to be either aesthetically pleasing or convenient. I want to walk into a room or a roomy foyer if there is space. Do these houses have a big foyer at the front door, and are the stair cases open or closed? 

What I didn't know was that all the living space was on that 'top' floor. That would be convenient. 

Where was the garage? attached, and if so, how did you enter the house from the garage? Is it on the same level as the upper, or do you have to use a flight of stairs to get up out of the attached garage into the living area?