Honored Contributor

How small of a home could you live in?

Our Pittsburgh home was a split entry, so the basement , which was unfinished, was not underground and was part of the available living space.Counting the basement it was about 1800 sq ft. We downsized to a 1500 sq ft villa when we moved to Florida and I think this is about as small as we could comfortably go. We used to stay in a 400 sq ft camper when we'd go to Pittsburgh for 5 months but we would be outside most of the time, and we didn't have all our worldly possessions to be stored in there. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: How small of a home could you live in?

Right now, and for the past 35 years, I live in a house that is 1160 square ft. As I am single, it is a fine size since every closet is mine and I can fill the basement and attic with my possessions, use the rooms for my hobbies and comforts, enjoy furnishings I choose.

I might find this place a little small if I had to share it with a spouse\partner and for sure, with kids. I could live a little more restricted with a smaller sized home or apartment, but this seems ideal for me. 

Regular Contributor

We raised our two sons in our 729 sq foot home with a full basement. We are now upsizing to a 1009 sq foot home with a basement. to be nearer to our grandchildren. Looking forward to more floor space!

Respected Contributor

Our family of 4 when i was a kid grew up in a 3 bedroom and 1 bathroom home. We were fine with it and thought it was great to live in a home rather than an apartment which we did for a while.  My man and I live in a 1 bedroom apartment with a very small kitchen and are fine with it.

When I watch those house hunting and remodeling type shows they say oh, only one bathroom.

Or the kids will say i want bathroom. Or they say the bedrooms are too small etc.  I always think well it wont kill you ya know. We did just fine. The kids on these shows seem spoiled and entitled!.

Honored Contributor

In my opinion, this would vary with the changing circumstances in life. Single, couple, kids, how many?, health or mobility issues, financial standing, lifestyle (gone a lot or a home body). It all contributes to what we want or what we need. 

I will say, bigger is often nicer, in that you can spread out and have space for everything you want or need, but it also leads to accumulating too much for many of us. And it gets to be more upkeep, cleaning and work than it is worth sometimes, for the use you actually get out of the space.

I've found that I am very adaptable when it comes to my living space. I tend to adjust well to wherever I am at the time. I learn to make the space work, whether it is larger or smaller. I think most people can be like that if they allow themselves to be.

At this point in time, the three bedroom, two bath (most rooms large for the style of home and the era in which built) house on a total of four levels (split level, so not a ton of stairs to any one level) is more than enough, and I anticipate it will be too much in the next decade or so. I have no idea the actual square footage of our home, but I do know any more than we have would simply be too much for us now, to want to pay for, maintain, clean and keep up with. It was just right for raising a child, and easily could have accommodated raising two.

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear, As a kid growing up, the first apartment I remember living in was a railroad apartment.  Talk about open concept and having to walk through one bedroom to get to the next one!  I think the house hunters would be horrified, lol.

Back to the original question, we could be quite comfortable in 1,000-1,100 sq. ft. 

Honored Contributor

I agree with MominOhio, it depends on what stage you re in in life. When we were raising our two daughters, we had a bigger home, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, LR, DR, Kitchen and Finished Basement with a huge Rec Room. It was great then, but now that our daughters are married and on their own, hubby and I downsized to a home with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, Large Kitchen and Living room and partially finished basement....One bedroom is ours of course, the 2nd bedroom is a guest room/office and the 3 rd bedroom is a Playroom for the grandchildren.......I do miss having a Dining Room, but otherwise my 1400 sq foot home is just fine for the 2 of us.....

I think people can get by with a lot less than they think.....

Honored Contributor

DH and I have been happily living in 1100 square feet for the past 15 years.  Downsized from about 1600 sq. ft.  Probably could go a little smaller as long as it had 2 bathrooms!

Honored Contributor

There are times I think we’d be fine in the Mary Richards apartment from The Mary Tyler Moore show.  One huge room with a pull out couch. Except I’d need to see her closet and bathroom which we never saw on the show. Give me a nice bathroom and large closet and add a laundry room and we’d be fine in the Mary Richards apartment. 

We’re currently in a 4 bedroom, 3 bath two story with a large unfinished basement. We have two of the bedrooms set up as guest rooms but we never use them. The 4th bedroom is our office. 

So I guess if I really think about it we could do with a two bedroom and some sort of small office nook area. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Regular Contributor

My son and I lived in a 550 sq ft home until he was 9. It was a tiny 2 bedroom and it was perfectly fine for the two of us. I could easily live in a "tiny house" that are so popular now but my husband would never go for it. We live in a 1800 sq ft home now that for most would be too small but it is more room than we need for just the two of us!