Respected Contributor

Re: How small of a home could you live in?

Our Fl. home has about 1800 sq. feet.  No basement, of course.  My requirements have always been large bedrooms and large bathrooms.  We do have two large bedrooms and two large bathrooms.  Living, dining, kitchen, laundry, tv room are average size.  Garage iis double width plus so that allows for storage space.  We have an attic, but do not use it.

We moved here from the Northeast about 15 years ago.  We had a very large home there, which I certainly would not want now.  It was good for that time in our life.

Honored Contributor

Just under 1000 square feet would suffice as long as we had a basement. Around here, nearly all homes have basements so I'd use it for storage. I would aim for two bedrooms and one & a half baths.

Honored Contributor

1200 sq ft , one level ,would be ideal for me.

Honored Contributor

I could like in as small a house as I had to.  We started out in 600 feet.  For five years.  

Comfortably?  I would like a big house--office to keep paperwork in order and files accessible and clutter of living out of the house, a desk a place to work and store. 

I like a living room AND a den, a laundry room, and a walk in closet for our clothes.  And a walk-in pantry.

So could and would like are to vastly different things.  Comfortably?  A bigger house.   I won't specify size because all houses live differently.

Honored Contributor

Where we are now is fine. It’s approx. 1300’ with 4 bd, 2 bath, living room, den, kitchen w/sm dining area, 2-car garage. It was built in the 60s so rooms are smaller and not open. However, the master bedroom is large. 

Honored Contributor

Oddball here; I admit it.  I need space.  Love big open space. We will not downsize.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

Our Pittsburgh home was a split entry, so the basement , which was unfinished, was not underground and was part of the available living space.Counting the basement it was about 1800 sq ft. We downsized to a 1500 sq ft villa when we moved to Florida and I think this is about as small as we could comfortably go. We used to stay in a 400 sq ft camper when we'd go to Pittsburgh for 5 months but we would be outside most of the time, and we didn't have all our worldly possessions to be stored in there. 

@151949  Unfinished basements or garages are not counted as liveable square footage. You were living in a 900 sq. ft. house in PA (on the upper level of the split-foyer type). Ask any Realtor, banker or county assessor for verification!

ETA: You where probably wise to increase your living space for retirement when you moved to Florida.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

I live by myself in my 1350 sq. ft. condo with two beds, two baths, one car garage and no basement.  It's pretty close to perfect.  I have very little storage space, but that keeps "stuff" to a minimum.  I don't really "need" the second bedroom but it's nice to have something available for visitors and overnight guests.  I would like to have more available outdoor space, such as a bigger, enclosed or covered patio. 

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

DH and I have been happily living in 1100 square feet for the past 15 years.  Downsized from about 1600 sq. ft.  Probably could go a little smaller as long as it had 2 bathrooms!

Our Pa home - without counting the basement was 1100 sq ft. It was roomy and comfortable - but we had all that basement storage space.

Honored Contributor

Our first house was under 1000 sq. ft.  Second was about about 1400.  No basements - ranch style.  But the lots were big and lots of outside maintenance.

I now live in a small apt. - so much less to clean and no maintenance at all!

Smaller is best (for me).