Esteemed Contributor

Re: How small of a home could you live in?

We downsized from 3200 sq ft to 1380 sq ft. It took awhile to get use to but I love it now. It’s the perfect size. 

Honored Contributor

Me alone, 800 square foot.  Me with husband, preferably no less than 1000 square foot house, plus 2 car garage.

Our current 3 bedroom 2 bath home with half basement and oversized 2 car garage is 2000+ sq. foot.

Respected Contributor

My home is 1096 SF and I have lived in it for 36 years, It is fine for me. I have shared it with my ex DH and it was OK then to. I have low taxes and overall low costs. I wish I had a little more closet space though. 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it could be considered argumentative

Honored Contributor

Let's not forget $$$$$.  In some areas, 1,000 ft. houses would cost more the 5,000 ft. where we live!  

Contributor

When I was younger I thought We needed a larger home. Now that I’m retired I am sure I could live in 1000 ft.² or less.

We just returned from traveling for 33 days in a trailer with less than 250 ft.². It was amazing .

Keeping it simple being outdoors and the only thing is what will we have for dinner loved it. Taking long walks, reading books and sitting outside with a martini just doesn’t get any better.

When you live smaller  you need less, Which means you clean less. And you can’t bring anything into the small space and less you take something out.

I thought we get on each other’s nerves but it was just the opposite. We talked and enjoyed each other’s company like we did when we were young. And when our dogs travel with us they keep us  entertain  and get this moving. Can hardly wait for our next trip. 

We have friends that are renting out their house currently traveling with their new trailer for the next year. Then they will downsize and sell and buy a small manageable place near their daughter. And continue traveling all over this beautiful country.  Sounds like a great  95573A43-31A5-4EA5-9012-A04143F3578D.jpeg Idea. Here is a picture of our 25 FT FBT  International Airstream  International. I absolutely could live full-time. We have dry camp, and camped for such a low cost with Fallbrook up I’m surprised everyone isn’t doing it. They call them snowbirds they come from where it’s cold to stay in the warmer states. Mini the RV Parks run from 300 to 600 a month with full hook up and amenities that could be any of the hotels you can think of. The national parks though hands-down the most beautiful places to stay. Alabama Hills in lone Pine California is one of our favorite places. Over 500  Western were produced there. We dry camp for a week and had a super time. Our dogs loved it. We were there with a group and It couldn’t get any better. There are so many places to see. Hope to see you all down the road.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

400 sqft.

When we used to snowbird north to our camper for the summer - it was 400 sq ft. Believe me - it was claustrophobic if the weather was bad and we were both stuck inside all day. Plus we didn't have all our worldly possessions in there.DH had a shed outside for his tools etc. and , since that wasn't our home - we only had things we needed while we were there.If we'd had to store everything we own - it would never have worked.

I know a lot of people who sell their house to live full time in a camper - travelling around the country. Almost all of them say they have to pay storage every month for the boxes and boxes of stuff they didn't want to part with but can't fit into their campers.

It's less to clean, the way I look at it. Good for one person and a dog. I eat in the livingroom anyways.

Honored Contributor

I will say, with everyone talking about small spaces being easier to keep clean, I have to disagree. 

The smaller the space, the harder it is to make it look neat, tidy and clean. One little thing out of place, and the whole space can look messy. And when the space is small, you tend to live in the whole thing, so dust and dirt accumulate faster (relative to having rooms that are seldom used and need cleaning much less often). 

The smaller the space you live in, the more work you have at keeping 'stuff' to a minimum. For some people that is doable, and for others a constant struggle. If the space is small enough, just the necessities can make you feel overcrowded and look cluttered. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Let's not forget $$$$$.  In some areas, 1,000 ft. houses would cost more the 5,000 ft. where we live!  

But usually in areas with a high COL the salaries are high as well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Luke & Grace The difference is - when your in your RV you don't take every one of your worldly possessions with you. When you consider where your going to actually LIVE - you have to take into account where you will store ALL your possessions. It's a huge difference.

Also , trailers are very easy to clean because the furniture - except maybe the table - is all built into the walls. Just walk along with your microfiber duster and swish - your done.Not like getting under everything and moving furniture to clean behind stuff.

Believe me - I have a ton of experience at living in an RV - all summer, every summer for 8 years. I both loved it and hated it. Anyway, last year DH decided it was time to stop snowbirding and we sold our trailer. It was just too much work and hassle and money to continue.

I will say , if someone wants to try snowbirding - an RV at one end or the other is way better than trying to maintain 2 homes. With our RV - we simply paid the dealer to come out and winterize it for us - packed the car and waved goodbye & forget it for 7 months. If we had a house we'd be worried about snow removal, is the furnace running, people breaking in, trees falling, mice & other rodents - a huge thing when a house is empty ball winter. One of our neighbors here had squirrels in her house while she was away and they ruined most of her upholstered furniture.