Regular Contributor

Re: Help! Need suggestions for removing perfume odor from home...

On 10/7/2014 Ms X said:

Fry up a bunch of fish in a very strong garlic sauce. That will get rid of the smell and might even give you a new appreciation for your friend's perfume. On a more serious note, good luck getting rid of it! I suppose it will disappear with time.

I'd rather have the fish and garlic smell, Ms X!!! {#emotions_dlg.w00t} Thanks for your humor -- it made me laugh!

Rebecca J.

Regular Contributor

On 10/7/2014 GoodStuff said:

I think your best bet is open windows, charcoal, baking soda, and the bowls of vinegar -- old, basic home remedies that will be effective over time. You've already washed quilts and bedding in the most affected rooms. Just leave the windows open and fans running as much as possible and give it time. If you can borrow one of those air ionizer things, that might help, too.

Sorry and good luck!

Thanks, GoodStuff! I'm adding charcoal to the list as well as a gigantic box of baking soda! I am d-e-s-p-e-r-a-t-e!!! Truly! {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Rebecca J.

Regular Contributor

On 10/7/2014 missyw1 said:

Power washer.

jk

{#emotions_dlg.lol} If it wouldn't strip the paint on the walls and the finish off the floors, I'd do it!

Rebecca

Frequent Contributor

QVC has a really good product called Don Aslett's X O Odor Neutralizer. I have used it for years for eliminating all kinds of odors including perfume, although perfume can take a few applications. The item number is V28258. It works!! I am also very allergic to most perfumes so I feel your pain. You can add it to the rinse cycle in the laundry which is very effective. The main way to use it is just spray it on and let it dry. Good luck!

Regular Contributor

On 10/7/2014 maziegirl said:

QVC has a really good product called Don Aslett's X O Odor Neutralizer. I have used it for years for eliminating all kinds of odors including perfume, although perfume can take a few applications. The item number is V28258. It works!! I am also very allergic to most perfumes so I feel your pain. You can add it to the rinse cycle in the laundry which is very effective. The main way to use it is just spray it on and let it dry. Good luck!

Thanks, maziegirl. I looked at this on-line Sunday evening but thought I'd try something "local" so I didn't have to wait on shipping. I plan to try the other suggestions first but since you know it works on perfume, I may just go ahead and order it. Thanks again!

Rebecca J.

Respected Contributor

RebeccaJ,

She must have stood in one place to spray her perfume. It could very easily be on the floor (and if it was an oil based perfume especially) and seeped into the wood. It could also be on the furniture.

I know what you mean. I've been thru the same thing with a guest before and in my case, it was on the floor in my bedroom AND the runner in my bathroom as well as the bathroom cabinet. After I finally realized where the scent was coming from, I used my allergen free furniture polish, and wood polish for my floors.

Super Contributor

On 10/7/2014 Retired08 said:

RebeccaJ,

She must have stood in one place to spray her perfume. It could very easily be on the floor (and if it was an oil based perfume especially) and seeped into the wood. It could also be on the furniture.

I know what you mean. I've been thru the same thing with a guest before and in my case, it was on the floor in my bedroom AND the runner in my bathroom as well as the bathroom cabinet. After I finally realized where the scent was coming from, I used my allergen free furniture polish, and wood polish for my floors.

This is what I was thinking. Or did she spill it somewhere? I went through this (although not as bad) when my MIL left last April. After a few days, and several loads of laundry, open windows, etc., I discovered 2 places that she must have spilled one of her products. I used vinegar/water mixture to wash it up. Then soap and water. It did help a lot, but it lingered for a couple of weeks. Good luck!
Frequent Contributor

On 10/7/2014 RebeccaJ said:
On 10/7/2014 maziegirl said:

Thanks, maziegirl. I looked at this on-line Sunday evening but thought I'd try something "local" so I didn't have to wait on shipping. I plan to try the other suggestions first but since you know it works on perfume, I may just go ahead and order it. Thanks again!

Rebecca J.

Yes, I wouldn't want to wait either. I have found the same product at Albertson's grocery store before but I don't know if they still carry it or who else may carry it.

Frequent Contributor

KippyK3 may have nailed it. Maybe it's in the wood floor!!

Respected Contributor

OP-- I am in a panic just reading about this. I have no additional suggestions, except don't overdo, especially with Febreze. That stuff kills me. Please report back to us.