Esteemed Contributor

I need help!

My toilet has a rust stain in it.  The plumber said to use CLR and that would clear it up.  Soaked two containers of that stuff for three hours and it didn't even touch it.  My toilet looks soiled, but it's clean!  Any suggestions?

Respected Contributor

@eddyandmewrote:

I need help!

My toilet has a rust stain in it.  The plumber said to use CLR and that would clear it up.  Soaked two containers of that stuff for three hours and it didn't even touch it.  My toilet looks soiled, but it's clean!  Any suggestions?

I used CLR years ago for the same reason and it did nothing.  Luckily, it had a money back guarantee. It wasn't expensive, but something needs to be done about companies that sell items that don't work as advertised. 

We ended up buying a new toilet.

Honored Contributor

Re: HOUSEKEEPING EXPERTS!

[ Edited ]

Flush toilet.  Pour a bucket of water in toilet.  It will suck all the water out.  Turn off the intake-output valve at the bottom of the toilet.  There should be no water remaining.  Put on heavy latex gloves.  Use Barkeeper's friend on a microber cloth and scrub.  Turn the valve back on and flush and replace water, etc., pour another bucket of water in and turn off valve.  You may have to do it several times.  It does work.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametodaywrote:

Flush toilet.  Pour a bucket of water in toilet.  It will suck all the water out.  Turn off the intake-output valve at the bottom of the toilet.  There should be no water remaining.  Put on heavy latex gloves.  Use Barkeeper's friend on a microber cloth and scrub.  Turn the valve back on and flush and replace water, etc., pour another bucket of water in and turn off vale.  You may have to do it several times.  It does work.  

Thanks.  I'll have to scoop out the water 'cause I cannot turn off the valve. But, will try it.  Have already tried scrubbing with water in there and no luck.  Hope this works!  Thanks again, @Nonametoday

Esteemed Contributor

@Sunshine Katewrote:

@eddyandmewrote:

I need help!

I used CLR years ago for the same reason and it did nothing.  Luckily, it had a money back guarantee. It wasn't expensive, but something needs to be done about companies that sell items that don't work as advertised. 

We ended up buying a new toilet.

@Sunshine Kate, been thinking of that - will be the very last resort. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

I am so sorry but if you do not have a valve that you can turn off and on, you need a new toilet.  If this toilet overflows and you cannot turn it off, you cannot stop the water and your house will be under water.  I hope you can get something done about this because this is a problem.  I am so sorry you have this issue.  

Valued Contributor

Try Coca-Cola if the Barkeeper's Friend doesn't work or vice versa.. 

Valued Contributor

Try a pumice stone.

Respected Contributor

We have well water and it is what causes the circles. We have tried many things. I cleaned the bathrooms yesterday. Clean toilets but the circles are always there. Will try pumice stone.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: HOUSEKEEPING EXPERTS!

[ Edited ]

When you flush the toilet, put a small towel around the arm with the big ball on it and pull it up.  That will stop the water from flowing into the bowl.  On some you can out the top back on and it will hold the towel down and the arm up.

You can use CLR without water or any of the other methods mentioned here.  They are all good ones.

If the stain is just rust, try a rust remover.