Esteemed Contributor

Re: HOUSEKEEPING EXPERTS!

[ Edited ]

@eddyandmewrote:

@Zhillswrote:

When you flush the toilet, put a small towel around the arm with the big ball on it and pull it up.  That will stop the water from flowing into the bowl.  On some you can out the top back on and it will hold the towel down and the arm up.

You can use CLR without water or any of the other methods mentioned here.  They are all good ones.

If the stain is just rust, try a rust remover.

Thanx, @Zhills.  Any recommendations for a good rust remover?  Seems so many products claim to do so much and don't.

No, it was in a brown opaque bottle.  About 4" high.  Usually on the top shelf.  We do not have a water problem where I live now.  Haven't needed it for quite a while.  Good luck with it.

You do need to get the shut-off valve fixed.  Never know when you might need it!

Valued Contributor

I agree with all who recomment Don Aslett's cleaner with the pumice stone.  I have well water and wouldn't be without it.  I cannot believe how small amount you really use and how long it lasts.

Valued Contributor

This worked for me--Barkeeper's Friend.  They make a powder and a liquid.  I love this stuff.

Honored Contributor

@Glittergalwrote:

This worked for me--Barkeeper's Friend.  They make a powder and a liquid.  I love this stuff.

I use Barkeeper's friend for everything. I use both the powder and the liquid but the powder for her application is more efficacious and less expensive than the Don Aslett's, etc.  I tried using Pumice stone on my toilet, but it was an ordeal, so I used the Barkeeper's Friend.  I have a glass top stove. 

I had an accident where a pan I did not know was not suited to my stove actually burned into and stuck into the glass.  I eventually got it off by using Barkeeper's friend but I had to replace the stove top anyway.  The top looked good but the wiring was messed up somehow.  My insurance company paid for that but the guy who replaced it told me that Barkeeper's friend is the best thing for cleaning ovens, glass stove tops, toilets, ceramic, stainless steel and porcelain.  I swear by that stuff for tough stains.

Respected Contributor

Try Kaboom toilet bowl cleaner.  I swear by it...

Honored Contributor

@Elri wrote:

Try Coca-Cola if the Barkeeper's Friend doesn't work or vice versa.. 

LOL - I was gonna suggest Pepsi!

Super Contributor

@eddyandmewrote:

I need help!

My toilet has a rust stain in it.  The plumber said to use CLR and that would clear it up.  Soaked two containers of that stuff for three hours and it didn't even touch it.  My toilet looks soiled, but it's clean!  Any suggestions?

ZEP acidic toilet bowl cleaner is the BEST for removing all kinds of stains.  I buy it at Home Depot, but you can probably find it at other stores as well.

Honored Contributor

I am not a professional cleaner person but I do use vinegar for water softener.  I am wondering if, since it will oxidize and is a good cleaning solution, it would help (once you get the toilet clean) to clean weekly with vinegar, or just pour some into the toilet bowl with the water in it from time to time to not only soften the water but to cut the rust.  I do not know.  I admit that I near-failed chemistry in college but someone with more smarts about chemistry might be able to answer that question.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametodaywrote:

I am not a professional cleaner person but I do use vinegar for water softener.  I am wondering if, since it will oxidize and is a good cleaning solution, it would help (once you get the toilet clean) to clean weekly with vinegar, or just pour some into the toilet bowl with the water in it from time to time to not only soften the water but to cut the rust.  I do not know.  I admit that I near-failed chemistry in college but someone with more smarts about chemistry might be able to answer that question.

@Nonametoday

Thanx, great idea!  I've never had rust problem before, but once this stain is removed, I shal beging doing that.  I often dump vinegar into tub, sinks drains to keep them clean; might be good to let it stand in toilet also.

Esteemed Contributor

@sol_lunawrote:

@eddyandmewrote:

I need help!

My toilet has a rust stain in it.  The plumber said to use CLR and that would clear it up.  Soaked two containers of that stuff for three hours and it didn't even touch it.  My toilet looks soiled, but it's clean!  Any suggestions?

ZEP acidic toilet bowl cleaner is the BEST for removing all kinds of stains.  I buy it at Home Depot, but you can probably find it at other stores as well.

Found it on Amazonsmile.  They have both acidic and non-acidic - so I should go for the acidic?  Also ordered Don Aslet's set on the Q.  Think my new hobby will be toilet cleaning!Woman LOL  Thank you for your help.