Honored Contributor

Uba Tuba is a very popular pattern of granite and it's one of the more economical choices.  2 co-workers have that.  But it is no different than other granites in that it needs to periodically be sealed according to the installers.   

When we had our granite installed, we were told that the best way to clean it everyday was to use dish soap.  If we needed something anti-bacterial, use the yellow windex, absolutely not the blue.  They also told us never use anything like bleach on it or anything acidic like vinegar.   They also said if anything acidic spilled on it to clean it up right away or anything dark should be cleaned up right away.  Our pattern is called snow fall so it is light and something dark like spaghetti sauce could stain it.    

We picked out what we wanted from a small sample but we had to go to the warehouse to approve the actual slab.  Had we not liked it, they would have pulled another for us to approve.  We loved the first slab we got and we were very lucky that they did an excellant job cutting it so all the movement and pattern was situated just perfectly.  The cutting can make all the difference in the world with some of the patterns. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know what brand of granite they will be getting. I just know it's called thunder white. Permits are being pulled today.

Respected Contributor

It does look so much like marble.  I can see where light color counter could stain from tomato sauce and things.  There will be places where they can economize and make up for what they really want.  Good luck on the permits.

Respected Contributor

No, LipstickDiva, you are incorrect when you say Uba Tuba needs to be sealed. It does not. It is one of many granites that DO NOT need sealing. If you try and seal it, the sealant will just sit on top of the granite. It will not permeate the stone. Then all you will have is a cloudy, smear ridden surface. Uba Tuba, is as I said one of the work horses of granite. It has taken all this busy family puts out and still looks beautiful. Just wanted to correct misinformation.