Esteemed Contributor
Another house question. My mom changed her mind on the granite for the kitchen. The one she had was a grade c. The one she likes better is a grade b. But she found a Cambria Quartz that is what she has been wanting. Anyway the decor lady is going to price out the grade b granite and the Quartz. Anyone have Cambria Quartz in the kitchen? If so what price difference have you found between Quartz and granite where you live? She will know in a couple days what the price is. From what I am reading Cambria Quartz can be close to the same price as a kid level granite.
Super Contributor
Don't know if it will help her decide, but tell her to Google "cracked granite countertop" and "seal granite countertop". Research on those two topics may be important to ssome before buying granite. Granite also gives off low levels of radon, but that idea never really bothered me.
Occasional Contributor

We love our Cambria!! So easy to take care of and so beautiful!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Onmyway wrote:

We love our Cambria!! So easy to take care of and so beautiful!!

Did you happen to compare the price with granite? Was there much difference.

Esteemed Contributor

@ThinkOutsideTheBox wrote:
Don't know if it will help her decide, but tell her to Google "cracked granite countertop" and "seal granite countertop". Research on those two topics may be important to ssome before buying granite. Granite also gives off low levels of radon, but that idea never really bothered me.

She has made up her mind on the Quartz as long as it doesn't cost a ton more. My dad says he thinks it will be a couple grand more then the Granite. But what I am reading they are close on price. The Quartz is Torquay by Cambria. The other granite she has picked out is thunder white.

Occasional Contributor

We did a "ton" of research and looked at a lot of granite. Granite prices were different; of course the one we liked was very expensive. When we compared the average granite price and Cambria they were about the same; to be honest we simply loved the Cambria more. We wanted the look of marble and Cambria came the closest.

We have had it for 9 months and it is so easy to take care of and everyone comments on it's beauty.

The only issue was that we live on the third floor of a condo and our slab was very large. We had to find a crane to lift it onto our deck to get it into our home.

Respected Contributor

We decided to get granite instead of quartz. We picked out our slab direct from the fabricators quarry and they gave us a lower price than the quartz. They customized the cuts and I was very involved how I wanted my counters to look. We added a backsplash of granite. It is so easy to maintain. 

It it really comes down to preference and you really should pick out the exact piece in person as to know how each piece will go where and how it will look before it gets delivered and put in. I was picky about the color and natural look to the stone. 

Honored Contributor

I don't have either but I hear the quartz is much more practical.  Doesn't stain, doesn't have to be sealed and is more durable.  There's no question as to which I'd get. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Either way they go when it is time they will pick the slab and be present for the templating. Good thing about Quartz is you won't see to many variations from slab to slab like granite. They had a grade C granite picked but when they seen the entire slab is was to busy and artsy she didn't like it. It will be interesting where the price comes in on the Quartz. I was reading it is all about supply and demand within your area as to which one costs more. Plus I think with this being a new build the builder might have some sway in getting it for the right price. This Quartz is exactly what she has been wanting,

Respected Contributor

I love my quartz counters, but mine are Silestone "Lagoon".  It looks like Carrera marble.  My backsplash is marble mosaic with some white glass tiles interspersed for a little bit of sparkle.