Esteemed Contributor

Do you have one?  Are they worth it?  (This is "insurance" against electrical surges that could damage or destroy household appliances).  I'm looking at one, that is wired to the whole home electrical panel.

Thanks!

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Whole House Surge Protector

@Sweetbay magnoliaI think the idea is wonderful for single family homes.  I would need more information to see how the technology works for multi-unit dwellings. 

Honored Contributor

A "whole house" surge protector is hard wired into your electric panel.

Not the house.

But you still should use surge protection for your computers & such.   The whole house type only  helps for lightning and spikes in your electric service.    It's like insurance, it's worth it if you have the money and your location is likely to have spikes, outages & lightning.

@Trix

@Sweetbay magnolia

Esteemed Contributor

Right, I understand that the device would/could protect the devices/appliances connected via the electrical panel to the house, via the source (lines, under or above ground). 

It's my understanding that surges are common.  If one "branch" of the network (ie, electrical supply within your "grid) should fail, extra voltage is felt down the line and can be harmful.  Or a failure in a direct line to one's own home.

Just mulling it over.  Nothing is fail safe.  There are many ways to protect electronics.  Just considering.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@software, thanks for the info.  In a multi-unit buildings such as mine the electric panels are usually not in the individual units which is why I question use in such dwellings.  I presently use surge protectors for all of my electronics and appliances in my apartment.    I was thinking that unlike individual electric meters, the whole house surger might have to be wired into every unit in order to work properly.  

Esteemed Contributor

I've not heard of this type of insurance. However, I do have seperate surge protectors on most of the "big ticket" items in the home. I'm slowly making my way around the home with either replacing appliances or installing the surge protectors. I'm not sure if I trust insurance companies to reimburse me for my losses. They seem like they can change the definition of what is covered and what is not and the customer only finds out when they file a claim.     

Esteemed Contributor

You're right, @Fressa.  The surge protector may or may not qualify for insurance reimbursement, should the appliance connected, fail.  I'm trying to do "best efforts" towards preventing the issue in the first place.

I like the idea of the "whole house" surge protector, and have a quote from a contractor.  Sounds like a decent price and I trust them, but wondering if it's "all that".

Probably a case-by-case consideration.  Our lot is wet with a crawl space and a sprinkling of overhead lines in the area.  Our direct line is underground.  When I look at the cost of plug-by-plug protectors, the "whole house (or home)" unit, wired to the panel, seems to make the most sense.  Then maybe additional unit driven protectors for the really valuable stuff.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would not be without surge protectors, in fact this morning we woke up and two of our surge protectors were not lit up, which means they sacrificed themselves to take the surge protecting my computer and other electronic devices, I immediately ordered two more.

We have lost one big screen TV because of a non-protected outlet due to a power surge, NEVER again!

I have not heard of the whole house one, I protected all of the outlets in our house with expensive electronic equipment for around $100,00.

Esteemed Contributor

Good to know, @CareBears.  See, I'm wondering it the unit wired to the panel does a better job.  Or provides an extra level, above and beyond the "spot" plug protectors.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

When our house was built the electric company recommended we get one so we did. My DH also talked the lady who lived in the other half of our house into getting one. My DH is a retired electrical engineer so he is knowledgeable about this.