Honored Contributor

Re: Got a call from my husband today...

Last year the Home Depot was selling 5.5-6' Faser Firs for $99 each.

Take him to a tree lot and find the best tree you can and show him the price tag. Remind him that he won't have to buy a $99 disposable tree every year. Say ""My work here is done"" and take him back home.

Respected Contributor

Hide my purchases????? Heck no! Both of us are working and making decent salaries. He's bought a knife (for work) that cost over $400. I've bought handbags for that and more. We can afford it and don't need or expect to have to check in with the other to make a purchase like that. We are both adults and know what we can afford and what we need. We have enough respect for each other not to need approval of the other.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

On 10/1/2014 reiki604 said:

Hide my purchases????? Heck no! Both of us are working and making decent salaries. He's bought a knife (for work) that cost over $400. I've bought handbags for that and more. We can afford it and don't need or expect to have to check in with the other to make a purchase like that. We are both adults and know what we can afford and what we need. We have enough respect for each other not to need approval of the other.

When you live in an area that has a much higher cost of living and thus much higher incomes an amount like $400 may not seem extravagant. But when you live in an area where incomes are much lower - more the norm for most of the country - that is a hearty chunk of change for a Christmas tree.

Trusted Contributor

Just wanted to add if you go thru mrrebates, you get 5% back.

Honored Contributor

On 10/1/2014 happy housewife said:

I said vows in front of every person I knew as well as the Lord God that I would be in that marriage "FOR BETTER OR FOR WORSE, FOR RICHER OR POORER ...UNTIL DEATH US DO PART." and I fully intend to keep that promise.

I feel sorry for anyone in a marriage who doesn't feel it is the single most important thing in their life.

Nope. I believe there are valid reasons for ending a marriage. It has nothing to do with it simply being "the single most important thing in their life." It has to do with some lives being ruined by who they married. We aren't all perfect, and we don't marry perfect people. Sometimes people die because they stay married to someone who will kill them. There are reasons people SHOULD end a marriage. . . sometimes they don't do it soon enough.

Honored Contributor

On 10/1/2014 Sooner said:
On 10/1/2014 happy housewife said:

I said vows in front of every person I knew as well as the Lord God that I would be in that marriage "FOR BETTER OR FOR WORSE, FOR RICHER OR POORER ...UNTIL DEATH US DO PART." and I fully intend to keep that promise.

I feel sorry for anyone in a marriage who doesn't feel it is the single most important thing in their life.

Nope. I believe there are valid reasons for ending a marriage. It has nothing to do with it simply being "the single most important thing in their life." It has to do with some lives being ruined by who they married. We aren't all perfect, and we don't marry perfect people. Sometimes people die because they stay married to someone who will kill them. There are reasons people SHOULD end a marriage. . . sometimes they don't do it soon enough.

What does this have to do with buying a Christmas tree?

Respected Contributor

Seems to me that a $400 tree would last for many, many years. So if you have it for 20 years, that works out to $20/year, certainly a lot less than buying a cut tree every year. Unless you buy a Charlie Brown tree{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

I have not been working for a decade or more. I buy what I want. If he does not like it to bad. LOL!!! He kids with me all the time & says you did not ask if you could buy that you need to ask me from on. I think not. He spends plenty buying kits to make homebrew beer, buys cigars & whiskey. He knows when I receive a package because I throw all the boxes in the garage for him to tear up & throw in the trash. I don't think I spend a lot anyways.

Frequent Contributor

Wouldn't life be a little easier if you just told him....not ask permission..but informed him. You knew it was coming, by not mentioning it to him makes it sound like you needed to be sneaky.
Honored Contributor

It's not an issue now; we both work and we make good money. We each buy what we want, when we want to. But I was a sahm for 11 years and that was when I discovered QVC and HSN. But I would never lie to my husband about my spending or hide my purchases from him. I was his wife, not his child. I wouldn't demean myself by asking his permission to buy something. We did have an agreement that above a certain dollar limit, we both discussed significant purchases before making them. But he didn't hav veto power. A $400 Xmas tree definitely fell into the "significant purchase" range but $400 for tires for his truck would also have been up for "discussion". My mom and dad had the same type of arrangement. She never worked a day in her married life but she was never in position where she had ask permission to buy something.....even major purchases.