Trusted Contributor

If they are out of fashion, then I never want to be in!  Giggles.  I adore ginger jars and blue/white are my fave.

Respected Contributor

Re: Ginger jars

[ Edited ]

@traveler   They seem to be showcased in many homes shown by decorators.

I have always liked them.  They are timeless and can work well in many settings from traditional to modern.

Of course, the authentic antique ones are the most beautiful.  I was lucky enough to see some upclose in a private mansion in Newport, Rhode Island many years ago.  

Some of the modern copies are quite good.

Respected Contributor

I went to Pier 1 and found it. They had two and even the clerk couldn't remember seeing it before. It really isn't that small.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We received three various sized ginger jars from one of my bridesmaids as a wedding gift in 1969. They remain prized possessions from a dear friend who shared my tastes in decor that long ago!

Over the years, when we found similar blue/white pieces to accent those original three ginger jars we were quick to purchase them. I now have a nice collection around the house and on my outside covered patios (in warm seasons). My bedroom lamps is a large ginger jar piece that we found on a vacation; we have an umbrella holder from another vacation; and so many teapots! Pier I has had pretty pieces over the decades. Never cared for VPH's items in blue/white. 

ETA: Only one bedroom lamp. Sorry for the typo!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@traveler 

We have three antique ginger jars that were turned into lamps.

No idea if they are in style or not, but they are much loved members of the family.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor
I have several (culled from a large collection about 20 years ago), I think only 1 is actually authentic though, but they are all pretty and on constant display, except during the Christmas holidays when I put them away to make space for holiday decor.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

I think in the right decor setting, they are one of those things considered timeless and classic. 

My mom (although she doesn't have any) loves them. I have never been a fan, and I can't really pinpoint why. I think because so many of them have an oriental flare, and I don't care for oriental in home decor.

Honored Contributor

I love them! 

A bedroom at my primary residence is done in mostly blue and white with many antique chinoiserie pieces.  The bedding is done in a Ralph Lauren Nanking print which mimics the florals and dragons designs, too. 

A neighbor here has her living room painted a bright yellow, and a wall of shelves displays her many pieces.  Knocked me down a few pegs when I saw it, because it was what I was thinking about doing!  Change of plans...oh well.

Honored Contributor

Not in my world--I have 2 beautiful cream colored ginger jar lamps that have chrysanthemums in a raised detail that my Mom bought years ago--I just change the shade out every few years for a fresh look---they are in the bedroom as night stand lamps------lovely.

Respected Contributor

Out of fashion would not be words used in describing ginger jars. They are forever pieces regarding home decor.

Timeless, classic, and can be placed anywhere.

Even today when children do want much of the stuff left behind when people die, they are the pieces that are handed down generation to generation.