Super Contributor

Floor cleaner recommendations

I currently have a Eureka enviro steam cleaner for my tile floor.  Its old, heavy and hard to turn.  The pads are a waffle pattern which really left streaks. I started using Mystic Maid mops, which are much easier to use, but don't seem to get the floor clean.  This week I noticed my grandbaby's pants were dirty after crawling on my "just cleaned" floors.  So I am asking for recommendations for a floor steam cleaner that is: 

*lightweight but heavy enough to do the job,

*is able to swivel around or down under spaces,

*the pads don't leave streaks,

*I could, perhaps, put more than just water in ie a bit of lavender

*isn't too expensive

I have about 900 sq feet of tile so I can't do it daily at my age.  I just want something that works and after doing my floor, I can sit down and watch my grandbaby crawl without her cleaning my floor!

Honored Contributor

Re: Floor cleaner recommendations

I had a Bissell steam cleaner and used it on my kitchen laminate floors.  I really liked it.  Now I have bamboo floors and unfortunately, it is not recommended to use a steamer.  I really liked the Bissell.

Esteemed Contributor

Try a manual mop, sort of a Swiffer, with removable, washable, micro cloth pads.

It swivels even behind the toilet and you can a new, clean pad for rinsing.

Can buy many replacement pads wash them after each use.  Not expensive, check around.

Trusted Contributor

I have a Haan steam cleaner.  I was able to purchase additional pads.

Respected Contributor

I have a Bissel one that has removable, washable pads.  It works great on my tile.  We have wood floors downstairs so I use a Bono mop on those.

Respected Contributor

@lilypadfrog , I used to have the Hoover steam vac.  It got the job done for me for years.  I recently bought the Bissell Crosswave from Costco.  I love it.  So much smaller and easier to use and it does a very good job.  My Hoover is headed for the garbage after 15 years of service!  RIP.  S

Frequent Contributor

I recently purchased a LIbman mop and I like it better than my steam mop. It has a small removable tank so you can use any or no cleaning soluton. It cleans better than my bissell. 

Super Contributor

I have actually been leaning toward the Bissell but appreciate the hand mop ideas.  I will definitely look at them before spending money on a Bissell.  My concern is that I have been recently using a hand mop (Mystic Maid) and it hasn't been giving me a clean floor.  I thought the steam would give me a better clean especially with my grandbaby crawling around.

I will check out your suggestions so I sincerely thank you!

Honored Contributor

I have hardwood floors throughout my house and the only thing that really works for me is to get down on my hands and knees, with a couple of large microfiber cloths and a half bucket of water mixed with a cup or so of white vinegar.  It's the only way I can get into all the corners and do a thorough job. I've tried all kinds of machines over the years, including a Haan steamer, which I really did like, but there's nothing like a good microfiber cloth and some elbow grease.

Admittedly, except for the kitchen, I don't do the whole house that way every week.  A microfiber cloth, soaked then squeezed, attached to a Swiffer floor duster is a really good alternative.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@lilypadfrog,

My house has laminate and ceramic tile.   I clean my laminate floors with a mop and vinegar water.   I clean my ceramic floors with a mop and Lysol water.   

I sanitize my ceramic floors with my Dirt Devil steam mop, but do not think of the steam mop as actually cleaning my floors.