Respected Contributor

Have it here in southwest Florida, even though it is not required. At around $400 a year, it is peace of mind. We are 8 feet above sea level. A storm with a 10 foot surge would put a lot of water inside our home. 

Esteemed Contributor

Get flood insurance; life doesn't come with guarantees.  When we lived in the Mojave we used it 3 times in 5 years.  Once when a pipe broke in a rental we owned, once when the temperature dropped unusually low and burst pipes in our ceiling ( that included a 6 week stay in a hotel ) and once when the RV park where our trailer was parked flood and the water was shoulder height ( we thought our trailer had been pulled safely to storage--  no one called us and we discovered a very moldy trailer 2 weeks later).  Our insurer is USAA and with their help I can say "flood is my friend".  We had the trailer totalled and bought a newer one and we bought a new home after the flooded house-- never even moved back into the old house.

Honored Contributor

I live 1 1/2 miles from the Gulf of Mexico in SW Florida on the shore of a large lake. (knocking on wood as i type this) our town has not been hit by a hurricane for 46 years.That helps our storm ins. prices a lot  but we have to have wind (we got that from the state of Florida)storm surge and flood (we got from FEMA). The wind and storm surge are only effective if it is a named storm that causes the damage, otherwise any water damage would go under flood.We went to AAA to get our insurance, and our agent assures us we are fully covered at replacement value. And, yes, the insurance is VERY expensive. However, how long can that 46 year streak hold out?

Honored Contributor

We were told flood ins. does not cover you for storm surge - you have to get storm surge insurance for that.

Respected Contributor

I too live in California...I think the insurance companies are trying to cash in on "El Nino".  They are trying to take full advantage of this and of course "Cash In". We received a letter from our insurance company on this exact subject three days ago. We also received -2- tela marketing calls regarding flood insurance in the last 2 weeks.  

We don't live in a flood zone...The last El Nino that hit California years ago was really really bad and we did not have any water problems then.  

Yes, things can happen...But be smart and informed.   

I would advise you to research the area were you are now living. Find out if that area ever flooded?    If it did what year did it flood...100 years ago?  Or more recent...20 years?   

Research...That is your answer. 

Honored Contributor

FEMA determines flood zones.     I doubt a telemarketer knows whether you live in one.    If you live in a flood zone and have a mortgage, you MUST buy flood insurance.   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Re: Flood Insurance

[ Edited ]

@kivah wrote:

I live in southern California - not far from the ocean - but not in a flood zone. We're expecting major flooding from El Nino in the next year and wonder if I should buy Flood Insurance, which costs approx. $500. and is highly recommended by the media.

Have u ever experienced major flooding - and did u have flood insurance. I think I'll call my insurance agent tomorrow.

No, but I used to work for a company that made the determinations about which homes were in flood zone and was a certified floodplain manager for several years. I can tell you that the flood zone maps are not updated very often and new construction changes floodplains as more and more nonpermeable surfaces are laid down to create roads, parking lots, new homes, office, shopping centers, etc. In large storms, such as Tropical Storm Allison, many structures that have NOT been identified as being in a floodplain will flood. In Tropical Storm Allison the number was as high as 70%. Old maps plus new construction = poor information. And if you're in an area with levees protecting you, it can be much worse. Failed levees are what did New Orleans in after Katrina hit and the Sacramento area has also had trouble with flooding after levees broke.( Politicians go on and about a lot of things, but what we should be asking is who has a good plan to renew out infrastructure. When have you ever heard a candidate talk about that? Start asking!)

I would definitely talk to an insurance agent and learn about what flood insurance covers and how much damage a home must have before the insurance pays out. Personally, after my own experience in the industry, I would probably get the insurance even if I lived in a low-risk area. $500 a year isn't much compared to the cost of repairing flood damage. I'd do my own analysis first, but that's not something most people would be able to do. Since you can't do that, you might consider contacting your local city or county offices and ask to speak to the local floodplain manager and get his or her opinion. I'd Google your city or county name and the words floodplain management. Here's what I came up with for Los Angeles County, for example: http://eng.lacity.org/projects/fmp/

You can read more about the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) here: https://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/pages/residential_coverage/homeowner.jsp

Esteemed Contributor

I own an oceanfront summer home on the NJ shore .... I have had flood insurance since I built the home in 1999 ....  the flood insurance started out at about $900 and has crept up over the years to the current amount of $1500 .... I never had any reason to use it until Hurricane Sandy hit the NJ shore ....even though the house is elevated the lower level which is an enclosed 2 car garage & laundry room, heater & hot water systems etc., took a really bad hit from the storm .... everything got destroyed & I had to hire a builder to reconstruct the lower level and replace everything which was extremely expensive .... flood insurance only paid $43,000 towards the repairs which was a small drop in the bucket compared to the price of the repairs .... I truly believe that because Hurricane Sandy did so much damage to homes in 3 states that the flood insurance money was spread out and people got a lot less than they should have ... I don't know if flood insurance is worth the price I pay each year compared to what it pays when a claim is submitted but, after Hurricane Sandy hit I am afraid to cancel it.

Honored Contributor

We've only had flood insurance a couple of years now, but sure am glad we decided to get it, we have ours through USAA, but it is issued through FEMA!

We live on a hill, but our backyard slopes and if you get a lot of rain at one time so hard the ground cannot absorb it, then you can get flooded, and that almost happened one day!  I'd rather be safe than sorry any day of the week  ..........  just saying!!!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Seriously, do you really think your insurance agent is going to be able to tell you if your home will flood?  That's a decision only you can make.  If there's any possibility, I'd take the insurance for my peace of mind.

I really don't understand the contentious nature of many of your responses to people who are making simple inquires.

Nowhere did I read or somehow extrapolate from the OP that she was requesting an insurance agent to tell her if her house/property would flood. 

What she did was inquire about anyone's experience with flooding, particularly with having flood insurance in effect at that time. And she stated that she would be contacting her agent about getting insurance. 

It is really unnecessary to berate someone for asking for input about things they think others may have experience and advice about.