Honored Contributor

Re: Flatware choices-invest in a nice set or not?

I still use my set by Oneida I got back when I was married in 1978. It still is perfect. I did buy another cheapy set several years ago from Costco. It wears like steel. So cheap or expensive both my sets are superb.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I also love your dishes, @Laura14!  Striking and elegant. They are what I would think you would choose, somehow.  I think they will fit your overall look to a "T", and be versatile and fun to use.

Thank you @Oznell.  I just fell in love when I saw them and never thought I'd be so simple but as you say the elegance was just stunning.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Laura14

I bought this Gorham 18/8 stainless set almost thirty years ago and it still looks brand new.  I know because I just unwrapped some from the original set and compared to the pieces I'd been using daily, and there is no difference.

I say invest.  It's well worth it.  Of course, be REALLY sure you like the pattern.

It doesn't matter if it's not passed down.  Most don't do that with flatware anyway (as far as I know), just sterling.  And you will be using it every single day.  Don't shortchange yourself in a misguided attempt to save something for "good."  Good is every single day.

Final piece of advice:  make sure it feels good in the hand.  You don't want to buy something you don't enjoy holding.  It does make a difference.

Image result for gorham 18/8 stainless flatware patterns

@GingerPeach  Thank you so much for taking the time to do this.  I love this pattern.  And I will take your advice to hold in hand.  I've seen a lot of pretty sets online but I won't consider it if I can't find it out and about.  

Honored Contributor

@tedEbear wrote:

@Laura14----Pay attention to the tines on the dinner fork as some are VERY long.  I have Oneida from 1964 that is great.  A set that kind of matches the gold butterfly Corelle dishes from 30 years ago and a set purchased from Target that was 12.00, that one is pitting.  So the tines are something I have noticed on a lot of pretty, and weighty flatware, I use the dessert fork all the time the new are too long.          tedEbear

That is so funny @tedEbear.  I thought I was the only one who primarily used the smaller forks and spoons.  I think they are way easier to handle myself.

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Ruby Laine wrote:

I love our Liberty flatware, and it’s made in the USA. 

@Ruby Laine

I've often wondered about Liberty, but never knew anyone who had purchased it. 

How long have you had it, and what things do you most like about it?

I’ve had this only a few months. I have the Weave pattern, and it is replacing my Oneida from 1975.  I don’t think it’s as heavy as my Oneida, but it feels heavier than newer flatware I looked at. We try to buy local and made in USA. 

Your dishes are so pretty, @Laura14

Honored Contributor

Flatware is something we use multiple times a day and it's in and out of the dishwasher and there's nothing worse than dinneware knives that don't cut anything.  So, I buy good quality flatware.  Sure you can buy cheap stuff, you can even buy dollar store flatware but what's the point if you have to replace frequently.

Respected Contributor

I have five sets of Reed and Barton and love them. I also never place my good flatware in the dishwasher. 

We entertain a lot and this makes it extra special for me to set a lovely table. 

Honored Contributor

I would try to get a set from Costco because of the no hassle guarantee.I had a tough time finding a set that didn’t rust in The dishwasher after a short period of time.The knives seem to be the worst and I was told it was because of the serrated edges.I just don’t put them in the dishwasher now but the sets all said that you could.