Honored Contributor

Re: Flatware choices-invest in a nice set or not?

[ Edited ]

@Laura14

I bought this Gorham 18/8 stainless set almost thirty years ago and it still looks brand new.  I know because I just unwrapped some from the original set and compared to the pieces I'd been using daily, and there is no difference.

I say invest.  It's well worth it.  Of course, be REALLY sure you like the pattern.

It doesn't matter if it's not passed down.  Most don't do that with flatware anyway (as far as I know), just sterling.  And you will be using it every single day.  Don't shortchange yourself in a misguided attempt to save something for "good."  Good is every single day.

Final piece of advice:  make sure it feels good in the hand.  You don't want to buy something you don't enjoy holding.  It does make a difference.

ETA:  I had the slightly wrong pattern.  Similar, but not exact.  This is the one I actually own.  It's called Quintette, by Gorham.

Image result for gorham quintette stainless flatware

Image result for gorham quintette stainless flatware

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

I agree with looking for 18/10 stainless. I learned that that is important in knives too. I have had two sets in 40 years - Reed & Barton and Dansk. If you have a good set that’s not way out there in design, it can enhance or blend with any kind of dinnerware.
My kids went with less expensive cutlery and I heard them mention rust. Never in 18/10. I applaud your desire to make smart purchases. You won’t be sorry. Enjoy!
Respected Contributor

One more piece of advice: see how pieces feel in your hand, pretend to cut, how are they balanced? It’s not rocket science but will make using them so pleasant. Get some matching serving pieces if possible. (Oops. Two pieces of advice!)
Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14

My advice is to go with a nice set, because it's something you will be looking at and handling every single day.  So it should be something pleasing to your eyes and to your touch.  My "every day" Reed and Barton stainless is probably 20 years old and I'm still happy with it.  I just looked it up, and it's 18/10 stainless.  Have fun picking out your "adult" tableware. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I don't know if it's still made, but I have the Martha Stewart flatware from Macy's that I bought for my Mom many years ago. It's excellent quality and it still looks good.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Valued Contributor

I love our Liberty flatware, and it’s made in the USA. 

Honored Contributor

@Ruby Laine wrote:

I love our Liberty flatware, and it’s made in the USA. 

@Ruby Laine

I've often wondered about Liberty, but never knew anyone who had purchased it. 

How long have you had it, and what things do you most like about it?

Trusted Contributor

Look for a vintage, quality, complete set on eBay or in charity shops.

So many sets are out there needing a good home.

Honored Contributor

In my experience, if you get 18/10 stainless, all brands are pretty much created equal.  A couple of years ago I replaced a set with a set of Spode from Amazon.  I've been more than pleased with it.  Its very contemporary and has a texture that looks sort of like tree bark.   The pieces are the large European size.  It's wise to get two sets; it's amazing how pieces disappear and you never want to run short.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Laura14----Pay attention to the tines on the dinner fork as some are VERY long.  I have Oneida from 1964 that is great.  A set that kind of matches the gold butterfly Corelle dishes from 30 years ago and a set purchased from Target that was 12.00, that one is pitting.  So the tines are something I have noticed on a lot of pretty, and weighty flatware, I use the dessert fork all the time the new are too long.          tedEbear