Honored Contributor

Re: Flatware choices-invest in a nice set or not?

Wow, thank you all so much!

@MariotaMurielle I love this.  Thank you!

And @BirkiLady, I had no idea that the others would flake metal.  That's super important to me to stay clean from that for health issues I am very susceptible to.  It didn't even cross my mind.  Thank you, thank you!

Well, I am so glad you all want me to spend the money and go for it.  I actually did look at QVC and they have a clearance Lenox pattern which @GAQShopr53 mentioned that I think matches my new dinnerware quite well.    

I have also stalked BB&B with my coupons as well and I think there is a clearance set at Dillards that seemed to be a phenomenal deal as well.  

I didn't know Macys was running another sale.  I will check there too.  Thank you all so much!  I am so out of my element with home setup.  Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it's definitely worth it to invest in a nice 18/10 or 18/8 set of flatware.  I bought Reed & Barton at least 30 years ago, and it's just as nice now as it was then.  I bought it piece by piece rather than in a set.  I would suggest going to Bed Bath & Beyond or a department store and buying something that you love.  You'll never have to replace it.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14  Trust Dillard's. Theirs will be 18/10 and they have a great return policy!

ETA: Be sure to check the weight as I mentioned. Even at dept. stores, you get what you pay for. Best wishes on setting up your new home. It's daunting, but so much fun. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Laura14  Trust Dillard's. Theirs will be 18/10 and they have a great return policy! 

@BirkiLady  I am picking up my dinnerware from them tomorrow and I'm hoping the clearance set is there.  I just don't trust pictures online.  I kind of want to see it in person which is why I hestitated. 

I hate returns and have had issues with certain places even with their return policy clearly printed on the back on my packing slip.  It's good to know Dillards is good about it if I need them.  I've touched my plates in person so I know they're a keeper.    

I am going for a vintage kitchen so I am looking for flatware that either is reminiscient or matches the design of my new plates. I'm getting ridiculous I know but if I am going to invest and have it a while, I kind of want what I want. 

Esteemed Contributor

Years ago I invested in a set of Reed & Barton and love it! I have since ordered three more sets. One for the holidays, one for our kids and one for the second kitchen in the family room. It holds up well and can go in the dishwasher. Once you feel the weight of the pieces, it makes a difference in how you view your flatware. Finally, I have "grown up" flatware is the only way I can describe it. I love mine.

Honored Contributor

Okay I am off to check out Reed and Barton.  So many of you have mentioned you love it and I don't think I've come across one of their sets yet believe it or not.  Off to go see what they have....

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14  Reed & Barton is sold by QVC on easy-pay, which is why you are hearing many of these posters say they have it. It IS a good brand. However, brand names are not the only thing to look for when purchasing flatware. Even they have their lower end of product. Check out everything and select what you like and are able to afford. It will be your flatware for years. It should be a nice, durable set. I agree BB&B is also another good place to check for flatware. Anxious to hear what you find and love!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Thank you @BirkiLady!  I was beginning to wonder how I missed it so badly.  BB&B seems to have it in stock too.  I am going shopping with my mother tomorrow while she is in town.  She is the Italian Martha Stewart of which I inherited none.

I actually LOVE my grandmother's Oneida Michelangelo but I don't think it goes in any way with my dishes.  Smiley Sad

These are the plates I selected. There are sculpted black stripes around the white dinnerware. I thought the Lenox Urbane might work with them which QVC currently has on clearance since it seems to have a similar pattern on it.

KS Bowls.jpgKS PLates.jpg

Honored Contributor

A lot would depend on who is going to see and use it. Live alone or with others? Entertain a lot? Have company that comes to stay and eat? Is money an object or can you pretty much easily afford to splurge on something like this? 

If it were me, and I could afford to do so, I'd get myself a really good set. And I'd be sure I could get lots of serving pieces in the same pattern, so everything matched. 

I know some will roll their eyes, and it isn't available now anyway, but I bought a HUGE set of Temp-tations 18/10 stainless here a few years ago. Service for 12, the most serving pieces I've ever seen offered with a set (somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 serving pieces), simply amazing quality and functional because it all matches, any possible serving piece you could want. It had steak knives (meh on those), parfait spoons, two sizes of forks, tea and soup spoons etc. 

For me, that is what I would look for again. Something well made, a style I loved, and a ton of matching serving pieces, so it all looks put together and matching. 

Honored Contributor

@GAQShopr53 wrote:

@Laura14 Congratulations on the new home!!!!! I remember my first home and all the silverware was plastic Smiley LOL..I wished I had invested in a good set of silverware...during this time Reed & Barton was a popular brand and I decided to wait.  Years later, I did invested in Reed & Barton and discovered the pieces offered years earlier were not quite the same as the new pieces i.e. the earlier spoons were much bigger and were not etched with the country it was made in on the back.  My mother still has her first collection of Reed & Barton and the spoons can dip frozen ice cream without breaking/bending...Since you have invested in great dinnerware I think you should also invest in the silverware..Enjoy your new home!

SN: I did purchase the Reed & Barton from QVC..and recently purchased a set offered on the Q from Lenox that was on clearance for everyday use.

Yes, this indeed is the frustration. Nothing made today is like it was 20 to 50 years ago. I'd be so willing to pay good money to find some things made like they used to be!