Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Right now I'm working on a Trip Around the World, in black, white, gray and green for my daughter.

It's a cuddle on the couch size,13 squares across, 15 down, finished it will be about 52 x 60.  It took a lot of time to plan that one out.

I'm about halfway done with the quilting.  I still hand quilt, so it takes me a while to get them done.

@Scooby Doo & @wildcat fan Have you ever seen the Sunbonnet Sue done using antique hankerchiefs for the dress and hat?  Really cute.

You are very talented and patient to quilt by hand.  I haven't done that, but I do the binding by hand.

One of my treasures is a Sunbonnet Sue quilt made by my mother in the early 20s.  Probably the only one she made. 

My grandmother or mother, don't know which, made blocks from flour sacks back in the day.  Then it sat in a cedar chest for years and years.  Then my sister willed it to me and I finished the quilt.  They would be so surprised to see it.

Respected Contributor

@GusMo wrote:

I use a lot of 2 1/2 inch strips....I like the quick log cabin by Quilt in a Day...Eleanor Burns

I also recommend the tutorials by Missouri Star Quilt Company. They are on YouTube, their web site and now they have an app. I get some inspiration from Pinterest as well.

I spent a long time looking on pinterest.  There are some lovely quilts there.  Problem is, they show a picture but don't name the pattern, or they bury it so deep in their blog that I can't find it.

I love the Missouri Star.  I watched a presentation about a lattice quilt using charm packs that I'm going to make.

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@GusMo wrote:

I use a lot of 2 1/2 inch strips....I like the quick log cabin by Quilt in a Day...Eleanor Burns

I also recommend the tutorials by Missouri Star Quilt Company. They are on YouTube, their web site and now they have an app. I get some inspiration from Pinterest as well.

I spent a long time looking on pinterest.  There are some lovely quilts there.  Problem is, they show a picture but don't name the pattern, or they bury it so deep in their blog that I can't find it.

I love the Missouri Star.  I watched a presentation about a lattice quilt using charm packs that I'm going to make.

@Scooby Doo Try www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore - there are hundreds of patterns there with templates and instructions.

Honored Contributor

Most of my maternal grandmothers early quilts were made from scrap pieces, and there was no pattern.   Those quilts were hand tied.  

I have the Sunbonnet Sue quilt she made on my bed right now, but my absolute favorite quilt was of ladies with a parasol.  The edging, filling and backing deteriorated on that quilt, but I saved all those squares and have them in my cedar chest.   

My favorite patterns are Log Cabin, Star, Wedding Ring and Double Wedding Ring.