Respected Contributor

For those who quilt, what is your favorite quilt pattern?  Do you use free patterns, and where do you find them?

I just finished making a quilt with the Black Tie Affair fabric using the Turning Twenty pattern.  I added some sashing that wasn't part of the pattern, but it looks better.  I really like the Moda material French General, but I can't find a pattern that I think looks good using it.

I've found a pattern called Carpenter's Star that I plan to make.  There's a similar one named Designer Star.  Both are easy but good looking.  I've done the Y seams and points, and I get frustrated and stick the quilt in the back of the rack and start something else.  So I'm looking for something simple and quick.  None of them are cheap  lol

Esteemed Contributor

I'm partial to the Irish chain patterns, I guess because that's the first quilt I learned how to make when I was in elementary school.  My grandma and her neighbor helped me.  It was easy and I made one for just about every house on our end of the street.

My other favorite is Sunbonnet Sue and Sam.  I like to make their outfits out of scrap fabrics from old clothes.

For baby quilts, I found a block pattern that is simple and you use a disappearing ink marker to draw animals in the blocks and quilt the animal shapes in the squares.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Scooby Doo That turning twenty quilt using black tie affair fabric sounds really pretty! Would ❤️ to see a photo of that.  

I also love love the look of the star patterns.  I never quite mastered that one!

Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

I'm partial to the Irish chain patterns, I guess because that's the first quilt I learned how to make when I was in elementary school.  My grandma and her neighbor helped me.  It was easy and I made one for just about every house on our end of the street.

My other favorite is Sunbonnet Sue and Sam.  I like to make their outfits out of scrap fabrics from old clothes.

For baby quilts, I found a block pattern that is simple and you use a disappearing ink marker to draw animals in the blocks and quilt the animal shapes in the squares.  

I made a Sunbonnet Sue quilt and it was fun.  I used 30's material for the dresses and I put some narrow lace around the hats, sleeves, and skirt.  I also found some cute little appliques to put on the skirts.  I'm thinking about making another Turning Twenty using 30's fabrics and putting a sunbonnet sue in some of the larger squares.

Super Contributor

I use a lot of 2 1/2 inch strips....I like the quick log cabin by Quilt in a Day...Eleanor Burns

I also recommend the tutorials by Missouri Star Quilt Company. They are on YouTube, their web site and now they have an app. I get some inspiration from Pinterest as well.

Honored Contributor

Re: Favorite Quilt Pattern?

[ Edited ]

Right now I'm working on a Trip Around the World, in black, white, gray and green for my daughter.

It's a cuddle on the couch size,13 squares across, 15 down, finished it will be about 52 x 60.  It took a lot of time to plan that one out.

I'm about halfway done with the quilting.  I still hand quilt, so it takes me a while to get them done.

@Scooby Doo & @wildcat fan Have you ever seen the Sunbonnet Sue done using antique hankerchiefs for the dress and hat?  Really cute.

Honored Contributor

I don't quilt, love them, but I don't. Log Cabin was always my favorite. That's why I say, do it while you are physically able.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I don't quilt, love them, but I don't. Log Cabin was always my favorite. That's why I say, do it while you are physically able.

As I get older, it gets harder on my eyes.

If you can't get the thread through the eye of the needle, what makes them think you are going to be able to see the eye to get the needle threader through!

I'm thinking if I can't get the hang of machine quilting, the one I am working on now may be one of my last. Smiley Sad  

I could never bring myself to send it out to have it quilted on a longarm machine by someone else.

Honored Contributor

God bless all you quilters. I have never had the patience for it, despite that I like to sew I find quilting tedious.

Honored Contributor

I don't quilt, but love to buy them.

I have a few that were handmade by my grandma and my aunt.

My favorite one is the cathedral window. I don't know a thing about sewing or quilting, but my grandma made two twin size ones and a king size one for me, every stitch handmade. I treasure those most of all.

I can look through each one, and see the fabrics from so many things she made for us over the years. New Christmas flannel nightgowns, jumpers with coordinating blouses, even PJs for the boys in the family.

I never properly thanked her or let her know how much I appreciated what a talent she had and how special her handmade clothing and quilts and afghans were. I'm sorry I didn't get that done.