Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Well, what you did was fantastic, @jackthebear ,  with your cleverly grouped candlesticks and then the other things you had.  It is so striking, with the teapot, and wonderful arrangements.  Love your mirror too.  Well done!

thanks so much 

Respected Contributor

Re: FALL MANTEL DECORATING

[ Edited ]

IMG_1855.JPGHere is my mantle, decorated for fall. The vases are Egyptian alabaster. The clock is an antique that I purchased 40 years ago. I fell in love with all the critters on the clock. The squirrels are just a little whimsy. (I just noticed, the reflection in the mirror looks like a UFO flying over water. It is just the wallpaper and ceiling reflection)IMG_1876.JPG

Respected Contributor

I have accumulated too many small pumpkins of porcelain, burlap, and other materials over the years. I decided to open the lid to a small wooden chest I found in my closet and filled it with the lid left open. My pumpkins filled it to the brim and it looks nice spilling over the top. I have too many fall things. Last year I donated a few things and it seems the older I get, less and less seems more than enough. Looking ahead to Christmas, I need to decide what to do with the 12 foot tree and over five hundred ornaments, many antique and special to me, that I spend weeks putting on the tree. The kids have already told me the ones they want, but I won't part with the ones they made when they were very small with their handprints , the ones my youngest students made for me, and the ones that belonged to my grandmothers. Who am I kidding...I may not let any of them go...

Honored Contributor

I love your Owl and candles decor, Oznell, very pretty scene!!!!!  The mantels look lovely and are fun to decorate.  I don't have one but if I did I would have a lot of fun decorating it.  I love the old brown transfer ware bowl,  my favorite stand out of all photos.

I am decorated for Fall and Halloween.   My living and dining rooms, my kitchen and bathroom all are decorated.  I have mentioned how much I love horror and ghost stories and look forward to Oct. when they begin to show up, movies I have seen for decades!!!!!  I have many spooky characters mixed in my decor, Universal figures and such.  For me  all out decorating for this season and Christmas are the norm!!!!  I also display a lot of fall foliage, lots of leaves and mums and more.  It's a fun time!

Honored Contributor

Gorgeous, @Enufstuff !   Those Egyptian alabaster vases are ravishing.  Your use of symmetry, the adorable squirrels, the intricately carved clock-- perfection.  Thanks for the close-up of your wonderful clock to illustrate "critters"!  

Hey, what's a decor thread without at least one UFO sighting?

@Trailrun23,  great creative use of all your pumpkins-  I bet it looks very bountiful.  I've also trained a gimlet eye on all my decorations and have decluttered a fair bit over the last 10 years.  I just want to have a few choice items, or sentimental family items as you reference, going forward.

@spiderw,  I fully expect you to have wonderful, artistic displays!   Your house must be a really fun tour at holidays.  By the way, that isn't my own photo of Owley -- I found a picture of him online to show.  At first I had him stuffed with my bunny tails, which looked cute, but now he's empty and playing a "supporting role" to a huge, earth toned crock filled with my biggest arrangement of fall foliage... 

Valued Contributor

Your mantel looks so nice @Enufstuff . Your antique clock is wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Respected Contributor

Re: FALL MANTEL DECORATING

[ Edited ]

@Oznell @cimeranrose   Thank you very much. When I decided to decorate the mantel, I thought that I would have to purchase some fall colored flowers. When I looked at some stuff that had been stored away, I found those flowers and there was enough for two vases. The clock is a cast  metal and is very heavy.

@Oznell  Your owl is very cute. Could you post a picture of your fall flower arrangement with your owl? It sounds lovely. I love owls and have an owl collection from the 70's, which is now packed away. At one time, they were displayed all across the mantel.

When I had a gift shop that later I turned into an antique

shop, the name of it was "The Barn Owl".

Honored Contributor

Oh, I'm sorry, @Enufstuff ,  I don't have the ability to take my own pictures and post them here.  That's why I have to scour the internet and find commercial, online shots of some of my items-- like my Hosley owl vase--  to post.

"The Barn Owl"  --  what a darling name for a shop!   Love it.  An owl collection is something I'd definitely have, if I could allow myself to start any collections these days.  I just find them so sweet, and wistful, with those huge, contemplative eyes.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell   That is quite alright. I don't know how to post pictures either. I have my resident IT person (my son) post pictures for me. Even if he showed me how to do it, a month or two later I would never remember. There are too many steps, to get it right.

Most of my collecting of all my stuff, was done many years ago. Now, I mostly collect dust!

Super Contributor

@Oznell @I just luv your decor. Thank you for printing all those designs. I haven’t even started my fall decorating yet & I really have some inspiration now to get with it.

i like your owl so much that I just went to Amazon & ordered one!