Trusted Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I don't have a fireplace or mantel, so I make do with the top of a hutch in the living room to give that "feeling".   Love to see what lucky others do with their mantels.  A couple of interior design bloggers have shown some of the favorite mantels they've done in their homes.

These might be too "quiet" for some people when it comes to fall.  They tend to give just a little suggestion of the season.  They bloggers used a lot of what they already had in the house.

Classic Casual Home:

Designer Mary Ann Pickett was lucky enough to start off with a really pretty fireplace in her 100 year old San Francisco apartment.  She showed two alternate looks:

Fall-Mantel-_-Two-Ways.png

A)  Her distressed gilt mirror is the backdrop for a vintage French crock with foliage and a pitcher with orange and peach roses.  The faded, framed engravings  somehow seem fall-ish to me too!

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 2.30.38 PM.png

Unlike almost everything else, the deep bronze-y candlesticks are new.   I like that sort of mustard color in the candles.  My fall vignettes always have books as well.

Orange-and-peach-roses.jpg

B)  Her alternate fall look dials in a lot of black, which I personally love.  It seems to go with the sunflowers really well.  Now, the aged pottery is gone and her stems are in a square, clear glass vase.  Dramatic little black and white print gives a focal point.

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 2.31.36 PM.png

I love her chunky black candles on the Serena and Lily white candlesticks, and the little cream pumpkins on the black box.  I have my black candles out too, in my old wooden barley twist candlesticks.  Black and brown together look very 'fall' to me too.

Serena-and-Lily-Candlesticks.jpg

The Relished Roost:

C)  The Relished Roost blogger has a very 'organic', bountiful look with her mantels.   Love the wheat, the aged urns, and the gorgeous brown transferware in the middle of this mantel.

fall mantle a.jpg

Old brown transferware makes the perfect container for this season!   She picked fresh hydrangeas, and then will let them dry as the season progresses...

fall mantle c.jpg

fall mantle b.jpg

She has TWO fireplaces.   This one with the horse painting is also neat:

D)  Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 2.37.54 PM.png

Don't know why--  I love the little touch of the wide brown ribbon tied around the books under the pumpkin.  Her shimmery glass vases add a little glam.

Fall Mantle 3.jpg

Rough Luxe:

You might recognize Cindy Hattersley's mantel from past posts.  Here, she also did two different fall looks.

E)

It really helps to have that fab, massive beam.  Love her Indian baskets and antique geese.

fall-2019-mantle-with-indian-baskets-cindy-hattersley-design.jpg

Here, she switched out the Horchow mirror, for some clever layering.  First, some vintage, arched top, antique salmon-colored cabinet doors.  On top of that, an old wooden industrial mold.   And then a modern, abstact print.  She keeps the geese and the fall leaves in glass.

F)

fall-2019-mantle-overall-with-modern-print.jpg

Most Lovely Things:

This one amused me a little.  Annie Diamond of "Most Lovely Things"  made an online sensation when she finally decided to paint out her rather awkward, heavy stone fireplace.  I think it turned out great.  Her idea of a fall fireplace mantel, is very minimal:

G)

white-painted-stone-brick-fireplace.jpg

Quaint little black houses, a black vase with one colorful fall stem, and brass candlesticks!   I like it though, and it's consistent with her aesthetic.

I was interested to see that that white they chose for the fireplace was Benjamin Moore's classic,  "Cloud White".  That's one of my favorite whites too-- it's soft, never stark or too bright, and as she said, it looks good in every light.

This below is NOT fall, but below was one of her "everday" ways of dressing her mantel.  Simple, cozy:

H)

fireplace-425x275.jpg

I've already got all my fall decor going.  The first thing I dug out was "Owley",  my sweet, slightly baffled Hosley owl vase, all of around $13 on Amazon!

d5dab0eb-5050-4d3b-a7d7-f40fd2ff419b.png

How about you?  Do tell, if you would, about any fall decorating at your house...

@Oznell 

The first mantel is my favorite- I especially like the crockery pitcher with roses and the candlesticks with chartreuse candles. The brown transferware bowl with hydrangeas makes me swoon. I love it! The last living room mantel is so rustic and beautiful. But your little owley is so precious- I have an affection for owls.

You asked how people decorate for fall- well, I go full out fall explosion with lots of color. I decorated my front porch yesterday in navy blue and orange. No pumpkins or mums yet but I will add them in October! 

I always enjoy your posts!

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell 
I forgot to add that I ordered the Martha Stewart owl lantern that was presented last week. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow and I will probably put it on my front porch. My porch furniture is bent willow and there is a coffee table.

Honored Contributor

@Tennesseegal,  how beautiful your front porch will be with your lantern and your navy and orange!  That's a very cool color combo for fall, love it!

Honored Contributor

I like all of them.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  They are all lovely but the first one just takes my breath....stunning!

Honored Contributor

53F2F581-FEE9-478A-89A0-1ABBCBB5B6C1.jpeg

Honored Contributor

WOW,  @jackthebear -- is that your mantel?    Stunning!  I love your serene color scheme, the silver dish, your little 'trees',  candles and everything!   I just love it.  It is classic, yet with an individual twist.  Thanks so much for posting.

Honored Contributor

Re: FALL MANTEL DECORATING

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

WOW,  @jackthebear -- is that your mantel?    Stunning!  I love your serene color scheme, the silver dish, your little 'trees',  candles and everything!   I just love it.  It is classic, yet with an individual twist.  Thanks so much for posting.

it is, 

I had stopped doing a lot of decorating after culling the 'stuff' but your post made me think of what I could do

you can't see the Peloton off to left though

I went to HomeGoods for inspo but didn't find much other than the wooden candlesticks, other things I

more fun to be creative and use what you have 

Honored Contributor

Well, what you did was fantastic, @jackthebear ,  with your cleverly grouped candlesticks and then the other things you had.  It is so striking, with the teapot, and wonderful arrangements.  Love your mirror too.  Well done!

Honored Contributor

Fall and the winter holidays are the only seasons that really warrant special decorating at my house. I don't do much for spring and summer, though I do often count the days until summer ends. I like elements of several of these photos and while I don't mind a light touch, I do prefer a bit more of a fall punch than these choices offer.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...