Esteemed Contributor

I purchased property with the thought of building a rustic retreat where I can eventually retire.

After searching house plans I bought a set that's very practical and good layout for my needs.  3bdr/2ba and 1,400 sq ft.

THEN I find the absolute most adorable plans for a 1bdr/1ba Craftsman style at just under 1,000 sq ft. I mean this thing is so freakin' adorable you'd see it in a Hallmark Christmas movie!

It's just me & the dogs. No kitsch, clutter or stuff.

But if you've downsized, how far is too far?

Honored Contributor

1,000 s.f. would be more than adequate for me.

I'm tempted to downsize, haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I have 1350 sf, modest size rooms, 3BR, 1-1/2 bath full unfinished basement.

I like the basement since I live in tornado alley.  My basement has 1 garage space, also.

I would still love a decent size yard, not the postage stamp size I see in these garden home subdivisions.

@Snowpuppy

Frequent Contributor

Snowpuppy - I do not know you but when I read your post I "heard" something happy and joyful when you described the small craftsman!  I understand your joy and your question.  I would advise to go with your heart and be happy vs. take the practical approach.  If you have company there are always Aerobeds and other sleep options.  My only suggestion - you didn't ask but feel it is important - is to get another half bath in the plan.  I lived with 1 bath for many years and I think having another toilet when one is broken is the best plan.

To answer you question - no I don't think it would be downsizing too much.  

Your writting took on a lighter and happy tone when talking about the freakin adorable craftsman!  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Re: Downsizing Too Far?

[ Edited ]

My single friend lives in a 740 sq ft end unit condo with a balcony and she loves it. It has 1 bed and bath, a large closet in bedroom, small kitchen, dining area, nice size living room, outdoor storage closet off of the balcony, and coat closet as you walk in condo. She said moving there after her divorce was the best decision she has ever made. She did get a sleeper sofa just incase someone has to spend the night.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I could lve in 300- 400 sqft home as long as has a working bathroom/shower, electricity, and wifi. A tiny home that does not move, or has a compost toilet. A small fenced-in area for my dogs.

http://adhome.us/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/unbelievable-8-tiny-house-plans-under-400-sq-ft-territory-homes-square-feet-on-home.jpg

Honored Contributor

What an inspirational post, @Snowpuppy

I'm in the process of "right sizing" and am looking for a new place but even though I might have the same square footage (@ 1500 or so, not too big), I am definitely not taking everything I've accumulated over the years!

I think you could modify your supremely cute Craftsman to still be cute, but make sure you have exactly what you need.  After all, you'll be building from the ground up.

I love @BeingKindIsEasy's tip about making sure there's an extra half bath at least.  That is great advice.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

If you have any concerns about resale someday, the 3 bedroom plan would be better.  I realize that resale may or may not be a deciding factor for you.  

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

But if you've downsized, how far is too far?

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at Mon, Jan 15, 2018-5.06.10 PM.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy....I think 1000 sq ft is to small....but I have some family pieces that I would be hard pressed to get rid of for the sake of down sizing.  I think I could live comfortably in 1500 sq ft.

The plans that you like....can some space be added on the the back or side of the house?  I love Craftsman style homes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

1,000 sq. ft. is more than adequate for one person.  DH and I have about 1,100 sq. ft. and we have no problems.  BTW, I love the craftsman style.  So attractive and functional.  Go for it!!!!

I agree with a previous poster about a powder room.  An extra toilet is always a plus!!