Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone use China,................

I use my china and sterling flatware all the time...why not?  I love to set a pretty table.  I also use linen napkins.  I don't use crystal at every meal because it has to be hand washed and I don't always have time for that, but the sterling and china can go in the dishwasher.  I know manufacturers don't recommend using the dishwasher, but I would rather do that and perhaps shorten life of the dishes than keep them stored away in a box.

Respected Contributor

Use mine for special dinners for holidays and company. Even use chargers and all the accessories like stemware glasses. T-giving'16.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

I think everyone has different circumstances....some do and some don't. There are probably quite a few of the older baby boomers who still have their china, crystal and silverware since that was the thing to do when we got married. And a lot of us received our mothers' beautiful china/crystal. That said, I'm an older baby boomer who doesn't have any of it anymore - and it doesn't make me unhappy except for having to sell my mother's pieces for next to nothing. I've downsized and simply do not have room for a big set of china, crystal and flatware that aren't used. Many grown children don't seem to want it or don't use it if they have it. For those that do, I think it's great.

Honored Contributor

Occasionally, I wish I had chosen some, or bought some.  

When we married, I didn't know quite what I wanted, so I didn't register.  I found a china in my colors years later-at Christmas which was the wrong time.

I got SO many salt and pepper shakers and other things when we got married.  By the time I could buy china, I was using Franciscian Apple.  It fit the antiques and we had boys, it looked great and fit!  

I've seen some beautiful antique blue and white.  Although I love it, I don't want to hand wash all of that after cooking!~

Our DIL isn't a china person at all.

I think with the way life has evolved and changed, china today needs to be dishwashwer safe.

Esteemed Contributor

Snowpuppy, that's a bit offensive. Some of us were raised with family events that included nice china and crystal. Some of us have also gone through life-changing events such as divorce, illness, and family issues where a big family sit-down dinner with a beautiful table is no longer what we do. It is not a socio-economic issue for us.

Valued Contributor

Some people use it, some don't. It may be less prevalent now than in years past. I pull mine out every Thanksgiving, sometimes for birthdays...sometimes just because I feel like it. It's a pain to clean, as it's gold rimmed and has to be hand washed, but I enjoy using it. Even the crystal is gold rimmed, but it looks so pretty all out. It's worth it to me, but my much younger brother-in-law just got married. They didn't register for bone china, but Fiestaware...to use every day.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I have all 3. Lenox china and stemware, paired with Oneida silverplated flatware and use it as often as I can. I also have a set of Lenox Christmas china.

As a kid my grandmother made Sunday dinner and we sat down to a table with china, silverware and linens. She instilled to be thankful for what we had. Sunday dinners & holidays were a lot of work but they were to be celebrated.

Maybe it is socio-economic? The same people who don't "bother" with Thanksgiving spend it shopping WM.

@Snowpuppy  What a nasty, elitist comment.  What does others shopping at Walmart have to do with your family dinners? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Married late 70s -- registered for white Mikasa china with square plates. I prefered a modern look. Used it only for special occasions. Gave my Mikasa to a family friend who loved this place setting. At the same time, I began downsizing and planning for a move to patio home. I love using my FiestaWare. Still use holiday and crystal pieces along with stemware. I've been able to set a festive, attractive table with FiestaWare. Letting go of china was about losing attachment and storage space for me. That's all.          

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I use china only very occasionally but I do use crystal somewhat regularly. I never invested in real 'silver' untensils or otherwise because I surely didn't want to maintain it... I do prefer using my beautiful dishes that are not china, so I can just put them in the dishwasher. I entertain sparingly, but do enjoy using my nicer things for myself and close friends.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I use china and crystal.  I have a few pieces of silver, but don't want more because I don't want to have to polish it