Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone use China,................

@Bri36 wrote:

My mom had a set of china from her great aunt.  It's absolutely beautiful. 

The plates and bowls are so small.  I compared one of the dinner plates to what I use for a salad plate.  The bowl held a little more than a cup of liquid.  Portion sizes are huge nowadays, so dinnerware accomodates bigger portions. 

Anyway, I did keep those because I mix and match with what I use for Thanksgiving and Christmas. 

@Bri36  no wonder we are an obese nation.  portion control should come back!!!

Honored Contributor

I use my fine china every day. I don't use my crystal a lot. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

The plates and bowls are so small.  I compared one of the dinner plates to what I use for a salad plate.  The bowl held a little more than a cup of liquid.  Portion sizes are huge nowadays, so dinnerware accomodates bigger portions. 

Anyway, I did keep those because I mix and match with what I use for Thanksgiving and Christmas. 

Agree.  Whenever Ina demonstrates something to do with table setting she mentions that dinner plates in European and older china are generally smaller.  I think today's larger plates can actually cause you to eat more.  Personally I love the look of large plates and silverware, but am always conscious of how much food I'm putting on my plate.

Honored Contributor

Don't you think also a lot depends on how our friends and families celebrate and what kind of gatherings we have?  We are food people.  Love and family revolves around meals and sitting at the table talking and sharing.  Friends, family, everyone comes and most often we are at some point around the table eating.  And so, tableware plays a big part in socializing for us.

Other families go to sports events and picnic, camp and eat ourdoors, snack, have buffet style eating, etc. and not so much table service.  So I think a lot of what we might or might not use is more lifestyle and what fits our activities and how we tend to gather than just a matter of taste in decorating and table setting.  Larger families and ones with lots of kids might be more prone to using paper plates and disposable items than families or gatherings of a dozen or fewer. . . If you are getting together to watch the big game more so than if you invite people over for pie.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sister has our grandparents' Limoges china. She has not even unboxed it. She never entertained in her home and now she lives with a relative. You would think she might offer it to the sister who hosts family holidays and always includes her. Never. Too selfish. For all I know it has been sold on ebay, like everything else in her life.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I forgot to mention that my china was off white, round with a fine black line and a separate gold line around the outer rim of the plate. My brother was overseas at the time in the Air Force and he purchased the Noritake china over there in Thailand, I believe.  My crystal is Hoya which is no longer in business but you can still buy replacements and my sterling silverware my mother bought from a friend that was more traditional.  I used black linen place mats and black linen napkins I purchased at NM many years ago. I forgot that I did you 4 goblets and 4 wine glasses from my crystal but you would never know it.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

Agree.  Whenever Ina demonstrates something to do with table setting she mentions that dinner plates in European and older china are generally smaller.  I think today's larger plates can actually cause you to eat more.  Personally I love the look of large plates and silverware, but am always conscious of how much food I'm putting on my plate.

Most of the time I just use my salad plates from my set. I do this nearly every day with breakfast and lunch. But I also weigh my food when I'm unsure because I log everything I eat. Portion control is key. My china is all German. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Yes, mostly the china.  Sunday dinner.  The crystal comes out sometines because I Love my patern.  The Silver only comes out when company comes and on holidays.  It's no good to anyone if you don't use it.  The Family China is the start of many a conversation.

Honored Contributor

Thats one thing I regret...is asking for fine china, sterling flatware and fine glassware for my wedding. For me it was a waste! I couldn't even sell my fine glassware at my garage sale! No one wants formalware anymore. About 20 years ago I began using my flatware daily. So at least I'm using that! My dishes are sitting, stored away, with a few that have broken in the many moves we've made in our 40 years. 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

I have two complete sets of fine china ... one given to me by my MIL, which we use during Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.  

I asked my granddaughter if she would like the other set as a keepsake ... her response was a definite "No."