Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone use China,................

I would love I have it all as I always enjoy a beautifully set table BUT it's all packed in boxes.  My life style has changed & rarely entertain like this anymore.  It's a sad reality of making friends in a over 55 community that are much older & die/move on😢.

If if I do entertain it's nice throw away plates, etc. and very casual. Sometimes I yearn for the days of "traditional" holidays and big family gatherings.  

I had my Christmas Lenox professionally boxed to give to my niece for her holidays. (Although, I doubt they won't be UNboxed for many years😉).

I use my Fiesta everyday & love it!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our daily dinnerware is Villeroy and Boch.  Grew tired over the years of heavy stoneware and Corelle pieces that chipped.  Bought eight place settings on a good sale at Macy's.  Well worth the price. I love china and it wears like iron. 

We also have Lenox for special occasions and holidays.  

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

I registered for a beautiful pattern when I got married 35 years ago.  I wound up getting only 5 settings, which never was enough to use for a holiday. I think I donated it when we downsized.  It's a lovely idea, but I have little room to store anything I don't use often.  

My MIL has a beautiful set that reminds me so much of her and the many wonderful dinners we shared at her home.  When she passes away, I'm going to take it if my BIL doesn't snatch it first - he's already taken all of her Fiestaware. Her china is not valuable, other than for sentimental reasons.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Crystal and silverware anymore?  I gave my china and silverware to my niece and she has not used it.  I have crystal that I am going to try and sell as only 2 glasses were ever used.  I don't think most people entertain like that anymore with China, etc.  I am right about this?  Or, do people still entertain with China, silverware and crystal?  Do you also purchase as china, etc.as wedding gifts?  HeartCat Wink

I still use my wedding china, as well as other sets of china that I own.  I have sterling silverware and crystal too, and I use all of it.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We don't use china or crystal.  Ever.  To be honest, for Thanksgiving and Christmas, we use festive paper plates.

In the last 5 years, I've sold my mom's Waterford crystal, my Waterford and sold my sister's Waterford for her.  We've also sold my mother's china and both sets of my grandmother's china (my sister and I each had one of those sets).  I also sold my grandmother and mother's sterling flatware. 

I am out of the china, crystal and silver crystal business.  For eating and drinking anyway.

I've got a Waterford sugar and creamer which was a gift from my sister.  I'd never sell/donate it, though I don't use it.  I also have salt & pepper shakers. Same thing.  And my mother gave me a Waterford Biscuit Barrel years ago and the master engraver from Waterford put Merry Christmas on it it me.  I would never, ever, ever get rid of it.

I'm contemplating selling our set of Silverplated flatware that we got as a wedding gift 26 years ago.  We've used it twice.  I pulled it out two weekes ago and am deciding whether to take it to consignment or keep it.  It's very pretty, but we never use it and I can't think that at this stage in our lives that we'll start using it now.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

I do, but only on special occasions/holidays.

I registered for a beautiful Lenox set when we got married in 2005. I loved it then and I still love it now.  It is Lenox Pearl Innocence.

I have Waterford Crystal Glasses and Lenox silverware too.  All of it gets used when I have a special event at my house.  I hope to pass these on to my children one day.

I know registering for China seems to be a thing of the past now.  I have been to several showers in the last two years and none of the brides wanted it.  Maybe they already had a set that was passed down, but I'm not sure.

Either way, I'll continue to use mine.

Honored Contributor

I never wanted it.

It didn't make sense to want or have it just because.  

It would have been used 3 or 4 times a year, have it stored in boxes and then washed and dried each time you did take it out to use.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I sold my china and crystal on ebay over ten years ago when I downsized and knew I would entertain a lot less and would have much less storage.. Have not missed it. I have one set of dishes that are used for everything and a few plain wine stems and cute all- purpose glasses I picked up at Target. I still have my sterling silver service for 12 plus serving pieces that was also wedding gifts. I used it recently for DDIL's bridal shower.

DS was married recently They did not ask for china, crystal and silver because her mother gave them all of hers! Guaranteed they will get little or no use, except for when her parents eat there on a holiday. She does not cook; DS does, but not "formal" meals like turkey, beef roast, etc. Even I do not eat or cook like that anymore.

ETA: Cleaning sterling silver is a breeze if you use Bio cleaner clay sold on the Q.Also, I use cotton damask napkins at every meal, every day. Always have, always will. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use my China and crystal on holidays and special occasions.  I think I use it because I have it, not because I really want to.  I actually prefer my every day stuff because it is the style (artisan/industrial) that I prefer.  When I use my china I mix it with pieces-- linens, centerpiece-- that give it a more modern, euro-chic look.

I'm really not one to set a "traditional" table.

Adding:  If it were boxed up, and I had to unpack it when I wanted to use it, I'd NEVER use it.  Fortunately, it's in a china closet and easy to access when I need it.

Honored Contributor

I have a huge set of China service for 12 with all serving pieces and sterling silver also. Received it 50 years ago. I use it when my family comes for holidays. No one in my family wants it. I will have to sell it. No couples I know these days would use it.

Oh, my sterling came in a special box with places for each piece and lined with special material. It has never been polished in 50 years. When I use it, if it's needed, I run a jewelers cloth over it for a touch up.